Monday 30 January 2023

Just A Soupçon

When I was a child, if a person was offered some food, and replied "Just a soupçon", I thought they were saying "Just a soupspoon". I've been reading a book recently [almost finished, will review it very soon] set mostly in the 40s and 50s. 
Back then the upper classes with their own cooks, [and aspiring persons who could not afford a personal chef] often dropped French food phrases into the conversation, or used the French names for food. 
Like Margo Leadbetter who never made a small stew, but always "une petite daube"
I was thinking about this the other day when we had soup for lunch. Soupe du jour! I announced. Bob said it tasted good, and asked what was in it. I didn't think fast enough, or I'd have said "It's mulligatawny"*- but I fessed up "it's last night's leftover curry, thinned down with stock, and liquidised". 

A couple of days later I did the same with the previous day's ragu sauce. I have decided henceforth that when I make my soup from leftovers rather than  soupe du jour, I shall call it soupe d'hier. It sounds much more posh than "yesterday's liquidised leftovers" 

*Mulligatawny soup came to Britain over 200 years ago - it is a curry soup, and its name means "pepper-water". 





18 comments:

  1. I didn't know that's what it meant!
    Your soups sound tasty, even if their backgrounds are leftovers! Clever adaptation!
    I made pasta for our dinner last night, based on the majority of leftover veg in the fridge with a tub of homemade pesto made with 3-cornered leeks that I made and froze in 2021. I was worried C would not be impressed but he said the pasta was delicious! Resulr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only know because I was Mrs Beeton in a thing at school once (and got the part simply because I was the only one who could pronounce "mulligatawny")

      Delete
  2. My Grandfather used to ask for a 'soupçon' of milk in his cup of tea, milk in first, obviously!
    A sad looking head of broccoli in my fridge on Saturday was turned into broccoli and blue cheese soup, it was lovely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "fridge scrape" soup can be just as good as high end stuff in cartons

      Delete
  3. Clothes make the man... and the sound makes the music... also with the food. But of course we should still understand what's behind it :-))) For my part, I really enjoy cooking... and I also like very soups.
    I wish you a happy week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With all the snow ❄️❄️ you have, hot soup will be very comforting 👍😊

      Delete
  4. Sometimes the quickly made leftovers soups are the nicest . More and more I add chilli flakes or a bit of curry powder to my recipes, I think that's another 'age' thing isn't it - fading sense of taste!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  5. My cousin’s wife always made soup with the week’s leftovers. She called it “cream of bottom shelf”.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's another great name! Thank you Lynda

      Delete
  6. I have also been known to add left overs to an already existing soup, and give it a quick blend with my hand held blender. I did that with Saturday's "pulled aubergine burgers" (which I liked, but Mr FD did not) - the leftovers went into the butternut squash and bean soup. Love FD xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'd be with Mr FD on the 'pulled burger', I'm afraid [but quite happy to have it added to the soup!]

      Delete
  7. Soup is wonderful! Here the prices for the better canned soups have gone up a lot. I often use a powdered soup ( broccoli and cheese) and add yesterdays leftovers to make it completely different each time! It's years since I had mulligatawny but I love it! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think prices for all soups seem to have gone up lately. I don't mind a revival of Victorian soups like Mulligatawny - not sure I fancy Brown Windsor or Mock Turtle though!

      Delete
  8. I've done the same with a little leftover stew or curry, and it is always well received by DH!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our long suffering partners do get fed some interesting meals, don't they?!

      Delete
  9. I'm smiling at your mulligatawny. :) A bit different from the recipe I have for it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yours will be much more authentic I'm sure, Bless ☺️👍

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!