Wednesday 22 February 2023

And The Award Goes To...

Long ago, I decided that what the critics thought of a film should not influence me too much. After all, "It's a Wonderful Life" received poor reviews in 1946 and was a box office flop. Then in 1974 when copyright lapsed and it was freely available, it became a Christmas Classic. It's one of my top films. Some films I have loved, even if they are deemed failures- and others I have hated win many awards. So I do not pay too much attention to the Baftas.
The ceremony itself is very glamorous. Having often portrayed our late Queen on stage and screen, it was fitting that Helen Mirren [with an unusually severe hairdo] should deliver a tribute to the Monarch who did much to support the British film industry. [and received an honorary BAFTA herself for being a Bond Girl at the 2012 Olympics] HM praises HM, as it were.
But as to some of the awards the other night, I have mixed feelings. I have only seen 1½ of two of the nominated films, so cannot really say anything about Elvis, or other nominated films.
I read All Quiet On The Western Front a long time ago, and have forgotten much of the detail. I think I might find it too violent and sad. [5 Baftas, plus 4 nominations]
Top Gun;Maverick I might enjoy - although sometimes these sequels set decades later seem a little contrived. [eg Indiana Jones] It got 2 nominations
Mrs Harris Goes To Paris was a book I read at Uni and enjoyed, and I think I should like the costumes.[nominated for costumes, but lost out to Elvis]
Elvis ought to be great, because of the music [4 Awards, plus 5 nominations]
The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse won best British Short animation, And well done! say I. Brilliant [see here] That was the only film on the list I have watched right through. 
but then there is The Banshees of Inisherin.
That got 4 Baftas plus 5 other nominations. I did not enjoy this film one bit. I had been led to believe it was a development of the whole Father Ted Irish humour genre. It wasn't. 
Halfway through I was feeling physically sick, and gave up and went to bed [we were watching it on TV, fortunately it hadn't cost anything]  Bizarrely the opening music is not Irish at all, but a Bulgarian folk tune. I think an award should have gone to Jenny, the Wee Donkey. But that was not her fate at all. Having read the spoilers, I am glad I gave up halfway.
What do I know? It will probably make millions.
Has anyone seen 'Mrs Harris Goes To Paris?' is it as good as I hope?

28 comments:

  1. I've not seen a single one of the films you mentioned! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen Mrs H, and it is a lovely feel good film, do try and watch it. I have also seen Elvis, and it is easy to forget you are not watching 'the real thing' when the actor is singing, he has Elvis' moves and voice to a T. Maverick is also a good watch, typically far fetched plot, but fantastic bit of escapism, and of course, the music takes you right back to the first one. Another feel good movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for these reviews - the music does add(or detract) so much!

      Delete
  3. Morning Angela, yes I think you would enjoy it - very nostalgic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mrs. Harris drar til Paris kan ikke være annet enn flott...jeg savnet det på kino og jeg skal se det på Prime...og jeg har tenkt på å se "Empire of Light" på kino.
    Dessverre savner jeg ofte filmer på kino... å ja, jeg må gå mer på kino... Kino er rett og slett fantastisk.
    Se mange filmer på Prime og Netflix... men kino er den virkelige varen.
    Hug

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TRANSLATION Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris can't be anything but great...I missed it in theaters and I'm going to see it on Prime...and I've been thinking about seeing "Empire of Light" in theaters.
      Unfortunately, I often miss movies at the cinema... oh yes, I must go to the cinema more... Cinema is simply wonderful.
      Watch a lot of movies on Prime and Netflix... but cinema is the real deal.
      Hugs
      THANKS, Viola. Empire of Light stars Olivia Colman - who grew up in Norfolk, near here, and is a favourite actor of mine. Yes, I watch on Prime and Netflix, I have only been to the cinema a couple of times since the pandemic. That is a real treat! 💓

      Delete
  5. I'm with you on 'Banshees', amazing actors, stunning scenery, it should have been wonderful, but it just wasn't!
    We stuck with it right to the end, which was a complete waste of time!
    Do watch Top Gun; Maverick if you get the chance. It's quite a decent way to while away an evening! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will try and watch TGM (I suspect Bob would enjoy that more than Mrs H)

      Delete
  6. I just gave away my copy of the new Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris, because I remember the original one which was REALLY good and followed the book very closely. This remake of the movie does NOT follow the book, so we don't get the feeling of love and kindness which was so pleasant in the original.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that's a little sad! I don't remember the book very well, and never saw the earlier film. That's the problem with remakes isn't it?

      Delete
  7. Oh dear - I was wondering what made you feel sick? I've not watched it and probably won't
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unnecessary, bloody [in the descriptive, not sweary, sense] self-mutilation. And cruelty to donkeys

      Delete
    2. Thanks for the explanation, I definitely won't watch it x
      Alison x

      Delete
    3. I definitely give it a 👎👎

      Delete
  8. I haven’t seen any of the films but would like to see Elvis. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe he is currently working in a chip shop near us...

      Delete
    2. I am not responsible for my husband's sense of humour!!

      Delete
  9. I watched Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris on a flight from Chicago to Florence. I thought it was a truly delightful film. The costumes were eye candy and the characters were charming. All in all an engaging feel good movie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds fun. I hope you enjoyed Florence as much as I did (20 years ago!)

      Delete
  10. I have seen the older Mrs 'arris film with Angela Lansbury and it is lovely. I feel a little apprehensive about watching the new one as I don't want to spoil the wonderful feel good memories of the first one. As for the other films you mention I'm afraid they have passed me by.
    Do watch the Angela Lansbury version if you have a chance, it is available on YouTube.
    Juliexx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps I should watch the newer one first!

      Delete
  11. I don't know any of these films. Well, except for The Boy...etc, but I've only heard of it because you posted about it! Clearly I'm very much out of the loop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes "out of the loop" is a better place to be-it's more peaceful there

      Delete
  12. I'd love to see "The Boy, The Mole, The Fox and the Horse" but I wouldn't want to see "The Banshees of Inisherin." I looked it up on the internet and it sounds pretty grim and sick although the scenery was fabulous. It's the same with some books, the product of someone's unhealthy imagination.

    ReplyDelete
  13. How interesting to read the comments about the animated film of the Boy, horse, mole ,fox. I found it really, really disappointing, I have the book and it’s delightful, but it
    does not translate at all well to animation. When reading the book, each page is thought provoking, and worthy of study and contemplation to reflect on the wisdom of the words. Do read the book, if you haven’t, and you will know what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the book is "deeper" than the animation , but maybe the film is a good introduction to it

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!