Tuesday 21 February 2023

Lovelace Or Verdi?

Kirsten and I are well into our latest stitching venture - the Postcard Project is passé, now we are doing the Cross-Country-Collaboration. Cross-stitch motifs on rectangles of even-weave fabric will be flying back and forth between Norfolk and Sussex. We are using 11-count Aida. But how do you pronounce it?


Is it Ay-Dar [like computer genius Ms Lovelace] or Eye-Eee-Dar [Verdi's Egyptian Operatic heroine] ? I go with Verdi everytime!**
I struggled to find the cream 11-count we wanted [ having decided10 was too coarse, and 14 too fine] Then I came across the Duftin company online. I sent off for some fabric [it comes in specific precut sizes, one was just slightly bigger than we needed] and was incredibly impressed.
When I opened the envelope I found a square package of cotton with a card label. This opened up to reveal a tote bag.
The inside of the cardboard label explained all. There was 'happiness inside' 
A statement about their commitment to zero waste- so rather than a plastic carrier, i got a cotton tote bag which could be used for the project, and personalised with our own stitching. And the blank piece on the bag printed with a dot-to-dot fto amuse the children.

Inside that was the Aida, and that was kept flat with a piece of card printed with a basic stitching guide, and right in the middle a neat packet of three needles appropriate for the work.
This was good value, and excellent quality. I cut out the two rectangles, and zigzagged the edges on my machine to prevent fraying.
All in all a very satisfactory purchase. Duftin is a Hungarian company and they have produced a lot of kits, as well as selling the basic materials. The parcel came quickly, and I think I would be very happy to use them again for supplies. 
My other recent discovery has been the website pixel-stitch [here] which helps turn your photo into a cross stitch chart [and it's FREE!] I shall be blogging about my foray down that rabbit hole later.
**There's also a female singing group called fascinating Aida. Witty, but rather rude sometimes, so I am not posting a clip for fear of offending someone. 


24 comments:

  1. Have always called Aida -Ada - but of course I could be completely wrong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure there IS a right way. It's like scone and scone

      Delete
  2. Well, that sounds an excellent company! I look forward to seeing the project. Perhaps you could save the bags and next year's project could be a bag embroidery! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only got the one bag with a large piece in it. But a bag project is an interesting idea

      Delete
  3. Your new project sounds interesting and of course the success of an project starts with good preparation. Hope your Pancake Party goes well today. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really well thank you. Just got in from church quite exhausted

      Delete
  4. Your project this year will be interesting to watch and I look forward to seeing it. I've always pronounced it like the name Ada. I like to do small cross stitch and cards, and have just sent for a pretty owned chart for a tiny snowdrop and also crocus design. Love Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Flowers like snowdrops and crocuses look lovely done in cross stitch

      Delete
  5. Like you, I used to say Aida as in the opera, until I was met with a blank look from the lady serving me. Oh, she said, you mean Ada!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It sounds nice with the stitching you and your friend does. I enjoyed to see the Post card project. How great to get such many surprises with your buying of Aida!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Marit. Yes the unexpected extras in the parcel were lovely

      Delete
  7. I loved Fascinating Aida! I saw them live locally years and years ago, and wore out my cassette tape!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can probably get one of those new-fangled CDs to replace it you know!!

      Delete
  8. That looks like a great kit - very useful to have the stitch guides.
    I'm not sure how you pronounce Aiada???
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. A firm with that commitment to zero waste, and to their customers, gives us hope. I look forward to see the work that you and Kirsten exchange.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right - and we should value companies who take wastage seriously

      Delete
  11. Love the packaging. I pronounce it as Verdi would have and had no problems with that here in my part of Canada. Looking forward to seeing your completed project.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Isn't it one of the best treats in life when you get more than you ever expected from a company!
    It cheers my soul to think of it! JanF

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!