Wednesday 15 February 2023

Gardening Gloves On...

...and then off again, because I cannot handle fiddly little seeds whilst wearing them. On Thursday I set up four small trays of 'microgreens' which are sitting on the windowsill in the Futility Room. I hope they will germinate and give me some salad leaves. Following the advice of others, I used up all the leftover seeds from the various packets in my box which are on the point of expiry!**

This seems a good ZeroWaste approach - they haven't cost me anything this year, and I've not lost anything if they fail. 

I am using my gift tokens to buy fresh seeds for the raised bed. Also on Thursday, I spotted something forgotten, lurking behind the summerhouse. A pot with some bulbs emerging. I have no idea what they are. I suspect hyacinths, but I may be wrong.

They have come inside to stand on the windowsill in the lounge. The pot is inside my great grandma's sugar bowl. That is the only piece of her wedding present china which remains now. And it is not in the best of health. But it makes a good cache-pot.

**I'm labelling everything carefully this year

Thank you everyone for the lovely remarks about The Postcard Project. Kirsten and I are so pleased with the finished pieces, and already working on our next collaboration.







16 comments:

  1. For some reason as well as seeds my soil grows little dopey flies. I put clingfilm over the seeds (newspaper might work?) and take the tray outside and blow the flies away every few days until they've all gone. Pakchoi and kale came up in a week, now waiting for them to be ready.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My SILs tip last year: put some regular fly spray onto cotton wool balls and place them round the trays. It seems to be a good deterrent

      Delete
  2. I like your plan to grow microgreens for salads! I hope the seeds grow well for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bless. I hope they germinate soon!

      Delete
  3. They look like daffodils. Hope they bloom successfully.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will let you know if anything blossoms

      Delete
  4. The microgreens idea is a good one! Kx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for the fly spray tip above - I'll try and remember that!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a gloves off person too. I'll start my seed sowing this week with aubergines and peppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall plant peppers - not sure about aubergines...

      Delete
  7. I hope your bulbs produce lovely blooms, whatever they are!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have spent the last two days helping children plant tomotato seeds in the potting shed at Kingston Lacy. The children loved this activity. I wonder how many pots got home safely and how many seeds will grow into tomato plants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've been working very hard at KL this week. I'm sure there are many parents who are grateful to you, and children pleased with their efforts ❤️👍

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!