Saturday 11 February 2023

Bearing Gifts

Off to Manchester for the weekend - Steph and Gaz have an important family party to attend [for G's aunt] so we are going to look after the boys.
I have a few bits and pieces in my bag for them
That bizarre penguin [we will immerse it and see if it grows at all over the weekend] An Orchard Toys matching game for George, and treats from the Kinnerton Factory Shop in Fakenham.
The KFS** sells random chocolate related items at silly prices. I got some NOMO bars [NO Missing Out] for my lactose-intolerant SIL, and two little bowls for George and Jacob [Paddington and Paw Patrol] 
I've also got a jumper I knitted for Jacob, some books for George and Steph and a few other bits and pieces. And a memory bear for Steph - but slightly different from the previous ones I have made.


This bear is to remind Steph of the time when her boys were babies. I have use dall their first size babygros. The face, paws and ears are done with the "Sloth" pattern babygro, which was first worn by George, and then by Jacob, on the days they came home from hospital, within hours of birth. Other fabrics have dino, camo and bats patterns! 
Inside the backpack is a tag with the names, birth dates and birthweights of my two darling grandsons.
I do not plan to make any more of these - stretchy babygros are a nightmare to work with! The garments' component pieces are very small, so I had to make a patchwork panel for the back. And every part of the bear had to be stabilised with interfacing because it stretched and distorted so much. But it will be a lovely memory for Steph to keep. 
 **NOMO bars are vegan, and so completely dairy free. Bob bought himself a huge bag of chocolate pieces [aka broken Easter Eggs] for £2- dark chocolate with caramelized salted peanut pieces and pretzel pieces. I decanted it into a 2litre ice-cream tub, and we are rationing ourselves to a few shards each evening! I am thinking that if we go to Fakenham again I should buy another bag, and melt it gently and reset into my proper silicone chocolate moulds.
It will be good to take these little presentsfor the family - but imho, the greatest gift is that of having time together.






21 comments:

  1. Ww have 'chocolate o'clock' in the evenings, just a couple of squares of chocolate. Family time is the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love gifts, especially the bear! Hope you have a safe journey and a wonderful time with the grandsons. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The pressies are great as is the beautiful memory bear! So sweet. The chocolate shards sound amazing! I feel like I must visit Fakenham!
    Hope all is well with you Ang. Have a gorgeous time with Steph! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another reason for you to come to Norfolk, Kezzie!

      Delete
  4. Safe journey and what a joy it will be to spend time with your grandsons. I’m sure the gifts will all be welcome but not as much as actually spending time with you❤️ Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. That bear is very precious even though it sounds a nightmare to make!
    Broken Easter egg chocolate sounds wonderful - I wonder where I could source that round here, Easter egg chocolate is THE best!
    Have a wonderful time with the family
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh you are the bearers of so many gifts, and what a good selection.
    I love NOMO bars and tend to stock up a bit when they are on offer in Sainsbury's, which is usually every three months or so.

    Hope you have a wonderful weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were a quarter of the regular price (but still well in date)

      Delete
  7. The memory bear has turned out perfectly thanks to your experience. Some of us wouldn't have thought of the interfacing! All your family gifts will bring joy! I hope you and Bob have a lovely visit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You two have good eyes for bargains. Love the idea of selling broken Easter Eggs. Years ago we used to be able to buy bags of broken biscuits in the Midlands. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I remember Mum getting them (and patiently sorting out any UNbroken ones to serve to visitors!)

      Delete
  9. Lovely memory bear and am glad you stuck to in making it as it is so special.
    Love your idea for crumbled chocolate!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's funny I can totally relate to your post. Those quilts I make for the grands first year, although lovely are too much for me to make now. Thankfully there will be no more grands!! Also I have a pile of stuff gathered up for when I see daughter and the girls (grands) next. You're like me never visit without bearing gifts!! Hope you enjoy your visit.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!