Sunday 26 March 2023

He Who Steals My Purse...

Today it's my turn to teach the children's group at church. We're looking at the ten commandments, and we are at "Do not steal". I have been struggling for inspiration - these are all lovely youngsters from caring families. All the lesson plans I've found seem to be about eschewing bank robbery, burglary and shoplifting - none of which would be a temptation for this bunch! So I decided we will look at different ways in which we could steal
  • You can steal someone's stuff [their purse, their car etc] 
  • Or their time [wasting it, or causing them to have to fix your problem] 
  • Or their good name [damaging a person's reputation] 
  • You can steal their work [copying or cheating, or claiming it as your own] 
  • And you can steal their confidence [`gaslighting' or bullying] 
I won't mention the Iago quote about stealing my purse vs. filching my good name, or using the term "gaslighting" - but I do want to get across the idea that stealing is so much more than just robbing a bank.We will make dice, and play a game. Whichever face comes up, we can talk about examples and situations which relate to that type of stealing. And why and when we might be tempted to steal. 
For "confidence" I found an image of the Superman pose [hands on hips, shoulders back] Apparently scientists have now shown that maintaining this stance for 2 minutes will boost your confidence in  a stressful situation! 
I have prepared the 'nets' ready to be coloured and stuck. I already had the outline template on the computer, I've just added words and pictures. One of these days maybe I should put all these ideas into a book! 
But I'm happy to share them freely here. So no need to steal my lesson plan, I'm giving it away. 


23 comments:

  1. All very good examples of stealing. Sounds like the children will have a fun lesson to look forward to!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that lesson plan is great,and tailor made for your class. Some time in the future think about that book. Love Isabel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just the kind of ideas that I loved for Assemblies. Happy Sunday and hope the comment publishes today. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's worked today Catriona - thank you 👍

      Delete
  4. This is brilliant Ang! You are so clever! This would make an amazing PHSE lesson too! Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Feel free to use it. Email me if you'd like the cube template Kezzie

      Delete
  5. Very imaginative way of getting the lesson across
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those examples are brilliant! I have long thought that if you define stealing as “depriving someone of something that is rightfully theirs” you can pretty much have only one commandment as the others can be seen in the same light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jesus reduced the list to two - love God & love your neighbour

      Delete
  7. This is great. I like the Superman pose and will be trying it out during hard times here. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun getting the children to demonstrate it to the congregation this morning

      Delete
  8. Your creativity is a true gift!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great way to get the lesson across to the children. I like your idea of teaching them differing ways we can steal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's good to help them think "outside the box" - stealing is not just Bank robbers and shop lifters

      Delete
  10. Hello Ang. So sorry that I have been out of things and missed that Auntie Peggy had died. I know that she was very special to you and hope that you are all ok. God Bless. Lesley x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lesley. Please do not apologise, I know that you too have been bereaved, and busy with all the extra tasks that are inevitably caused by a death in the family. You've been in my thoughts and prayers too ❤️🙏

      Delete
  11. Another concept linked to stealing would be cheating. Cheating people out of what they are due - time, money, respect - seems to be a national sport, harking back to the Thatcher years (IMHO). We went from being a nation of people proud to work hard and buy the best we could afford to one where getting something for nothing was all that mattered.
    Not all of us of course, but the rot set in around then I think.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!