Saturday 4 March 2023

I Had Planned On Stitching Snowdrops

At the beginning of the month I had no idea what to stitch for the CCC, then Bob suggested a trip to Oxburgh Hall to see the snowdrops. As I walked round, I was once again entranced by these brave blossoms, sparkling white against the cold brown earth. A good subject for stitching. I have done a number of 'floral' pieces down the years - after all this is a traditional theme for a sampler. But when I got home and looked through my photos I started to reconsider. What about a cartoon style group of Red Hat Ladies in their purple outfits and scarlet millinery instead? Looking at the Maryan embroideries again, I wondered about interpreting some of her animal stitchings. But I decided in the end it was the house itself, with its lovely new roof, back in 'working order' which deserved to be recorded.
I set out to translate this photo into a cross stitch chart, and found this free programme. But setting the chart for 60 squares by 20, to match my grid space gave a rather coarse pattern

Try again. A grid of 140 squares looks much better, but obviously is way too big for any section on the canvas
In the end I found a happy compromise. Using some graph paper, I used the top chart to get the correct number of squares for the outline, and then I modified, and added details using the second chart as a guide for positioning windows, roof edges etc. 
And I pinched Kirsten's idea about multicoloured threads for the embroidery. I used a brown shaded silk for the brickwork, and a shades of pastel blue for the sky. It saved so much time, and I love the way the brickwork looks textured and the sky has variations of blue. The roof I did in charcoal grey, windows in black, and outlining in dark brown. I am very happy with the result - perhaps I can market this to the NT as a kit for their gift shop?




My March CCC stitching is going to be much less ambitious!




23 comments:

  1. Oh, wow! That's just stunning, Angela! The multicolored yarns worked out great, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do look like brickwork don't they?

      Delete
  2. I'm beginning to suspect my March stitching is way overambitious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it!!! You totally should market it to NT!
    For some reason though, I'm seeing 3 snail 'faces' and antennae in your design!πŸ˜‚

    ReplyDelete
  4. That took a lot of work. I did a similar thing for friends who were leaving their house in France. It took a lot of working out but they were delighted with it, even done to their favourite Hollyhocks stitched in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How kind of you to do that, a special memory for them to treasure ❤️

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thank you. I'm impressed by your current project

      Delete
  6. That’s wonderful! Perseverance was definitely worth it. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm certainly learning patience, which has to be a good thing

      Delete
  7. That is amazing ... and a LOT more complicated than stitching a Snowdrop!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can assure you there WILL be flowers in the CCC stitching in the months ahead 🌷🌹🌻πŸ₯€πŸŒ·πŸŒΉπŸŒ»πŸ₯€πŸŒΌ

      Delete
  8. My goodness, that is a magnificent piece of work. I cannot imagine having the nerve to even start it! Jan F

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just hope we have not set the bar too high for ourselves

      Delete
  9. That is fabulous! You really have excelled yourself. The variegated thread works out perfectly for sky and brickwork. Kirsten was onto a good idea there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Amazing and well done, Ang! You most certainly are a math person.
    Applause, applause!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your finished stitching looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is very impressive! I would think the NT would be happy with kits to sell!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!