Friday 10 March 2023

Now The Green Blade Rises...

Four weeks ago I sowed some seeds, hoping to grow 'microgreens' on the windowsill in the Futility Room. 

I have to report total failure of all seeds. I blame the old compost, and possibly it was not moist enough - I don't know

I bought new compost, found a couple more seed packets which looked ok, and tried again.
This time I seem to be having some success 
- as everyone keeps telling me, gardening is a learning experience, and lesson one is than you cannot predict the results!

These are some of the Téte-a-Téte bulbs I bought in October 2021. 


They produced a sweet display in my tubs last year, and when they finished flowering I put them in a patch of bare earth beside the fence, and sprinkled grass seed too. [and I confess i forgot they were there] 

They are small, but bright and golden, heralds of the spring. 
Last week I felt despondent about the gardening, this week I am encouraged to keep trying!

PS thanks for all the comments on yesterday's "Royal" post. We obviously have differing views, but at least we can be tolerant of one another- and we all seem to believe in the importance of building good relationships!



12 comments:

  1. P.S. Meant to say that I like Charles. It's all the media drama that I don't like. I wish they'd have a little decorum.
    Well done on your daffs and success- my self-grown tomatoes were an utter disaster in 2020- it waa only gifted plants from Mum and a random 'help yourself box' I utilised in Rettendon whilst on a cycle ride (yes, i cycled 20miles with a plant!😁) that worked!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kezzie, your cycling exploits are amazing!

      Delete
  2. You shouldn't be despondent about your gardening efforts considering the great results you had with the other stuff you managed to grow. Seedlings can be encouraged with a covering like clingfilm, if you still use it, or one of those square plastic (yes I know but sometimes unavoidable til they're completely obsolete) lids that you get on meat packages, along with a sunny windowsill and a drink now and then. Keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely seeing a little bit of colour in the garden isn't it. I currently have snowdrops, little daffodils and lots of primulas that have come up again. They make me smile every time I step out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It’s good that you weren’t disheartened by the first lot of seeds not growing and hopefully the temperatures will rise soon to help the new ones grow. I’m having an odds and ends kind of day indoors doing little jobs that get put off but give me satisfaction when completed. Today was clearing and cleaning the dresser in the dining room which is now sparkling! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Odds&end days are good. I sorted my towels yesterday morning, and it was very satisfying

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your title. It's a great hymn! I've been thinking I should look into growing micro greens, not sure if it is going to happen though. 🙂

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the hymn's really about wheat, not salad leaves though. Try microgreens - so lovely to add homegrown green freshness to winter meals

      Delete
  7. I'm glad the second lot of seeds are sprouting. The mini daffodils look lovely, too, and they will eventually multiply and form a carpet of flowers, there. :)

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!