Tuesday 7 March 2023

Vicars And Tarts

Just a quick review of two recent library books. Most of my books lately have been from the have cross stitch section, seeking inspiration for the CCC. But I did order this one, and thought it worth a review.
Murder Before Evensong is by the Reverend Richard Coles. It has Rev on the front cover and the spine, just in case anyone doesn't realise this Radio presenter, and former member of pop group The Communards is also a Vicar in the CofE. The book has all the things one might expect - a Flower Guild full of difficult ladies, the family up at The Big House, arguments about alterations to the Parish Church, and people who have lived in the village forever, and have Dark Secrets in their past. Also a bishop who isn't happy that the vicar is an amateur sleuth. 
But I found it cleverly written, pretty accurate about the church details [RC certainly knows his hymn tunes!] with a superb vocabulary and great descriptions. And being full of church ladies, who loved to cater for events, there are the inevitable scones, coffee-and-walnut sponges, and jam tarts.
It is set - I think- about 30 years ago. Certainly there are no mobile phones, and personal computers are something new, which the vicar looks at in Rymans.  It is a bit heavy on scene setting - Murder#1 doesn't happen till around page 100, and the pace only really hots up another hundred pages on with the second murder. With hindsight I realised there had been early clues which I had not picked up. A cosy read, ideal for fans of Midsomer or Father Brown ****
This next one has cake recipes and the author is the son of a Rev. And it was definitely a serendipitous discovery. Some distracted borrower had replaced the book on the shelf by the cross-stitch books. 
It is a bit niche, and I have to say that at the outset. It's written by Miles Jupp in his alter-ego, cookery writer Damien Trench. If you have every enjoyed listening to "In and Out of the Kitchen" on Radio 4, or 4 Extra, you will get it. I suspect that it may not mean anything to those who have not enjoyed Miles/Damien's soft, yet occasionally petulant, tones explaining recipes or clarifying the situation.  I&OTTK is a programme which always cheers me up and leaves me smiling - or even laughing out loud. 
This book is Damien's 'childhood memoir' but peppered with anecdotes from the present, and a number of recipes. All written in the rambling, pedantic style which he has made his own. 
If you like I&OOTK you will hear Damien's voice in your head as you read it and chortle. If you don't know the programme it may all seem rather quirky. I rate it ****but I know non-fans won't get it at all.
Oh but if I could only meet the Dereham Library borrower who left it by the cross stitch books...I am sure we would have much in common!

19 comments:

  1. Jane from Dorset7 March 2023 at 07:25

    I hadn’t thought to look for In and Out if the Kitchen on the BBC iplayer.
    Many happy hours of listening ahead.
    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It pops up now and then on radio 4 extra, but you should be able to find it on iplayer

      Delete
  2. Well, I've learned something - didn't know Miles Jupp had an alter ego!
    I really need to listen to more Radio 4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's a very talented chap. Check it out on iplayer

      Delete
  3. I received the RRC book for my birthday! Looking forward to trying it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did (&I hope there's a sequel)

      Delete
  4. Don't you think it's wonderful when you come across something in the wrong place that is actually perfectly placed for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Both of these books would be just my cup of tea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think they would - your cup of tea, with a slice of cake alongside!! Do check I&OOTK out on iplayer.

      Delete
  6. Both books look delightful but I'd totally miss out on the nuances from the 2nd book.
    Our local library doesn't have many of the authors' books that I've hoped to find after seeing the titles on UK blogs. Sigh!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both books are very "English" so I suspect you are right about missing the nuances. Sorry

      Delete
  7. "Murder before evensong" sounds like a great book! It reminded me that I loved the Mitford series by Jan Karon, which feature an Episcopal priest in his 60s, set in the US. The first book is "At home in Mitford", and the priest has a dog that can only be controlled by pronouncing scripture very loudly to him. There is also an attractive lady next door...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I enjoyed the Mitford series. I found the complete collection going cheaply in a charity shop, read them then passed them onto others. The dog training techniques were amusing, and as to the lady next door....

      Delete
  8. Have just finished and really enjoyed murder before Evensong, ordered from our local library. I will see if he has written any others that they have when I return it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not sure that the sequel is out yet...

      Delete
  9. I'm late to this but thanks for the book reviews, I love the sound of the Richard Cole one In particular, I like reading Barbara Pym because of all the comical references to clergy and church going - including things like the goood old fashioned church jumble sale. Not laughing at but with you understand - we're all human:)
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbara Pym feels a little dated now - but yes, she definitely described nervous curates and fussy flower arrangers perfectly!!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!