Wednesday 1 March 2023

Top Tips For Trousers

About a month ago, I treated myself to a pack of two pairs of pj trousers at the end of Tesco's Post-Christmas Sale. They were 100% cotton, and had been reduced from £15 to £11, then to £7. I usually wear favourite [but tatty] teeshirts as pj 'tops' and I needed some new 'bottoms'. We were going to stay with Steph - it was a good excuse for replacing nightwear. Except they were, of course, too long for my little legs - and I never got round to shortening them. Then Steph kindly passed on two pairs of jeans which were too large for her, but fitted my hips. So that meant four pairs of trousers to shorten.
I got out the ironing board, tape measure, scissors and hemming web
Tip #1 - get your inside leg measurement right. Measure from crotch to hem down the inseam of a pair of trousers which fit you well. Mine is 67cm.[The King's is 75.5 cm - or so the tailor from Savile Row who used to make the Royal Trousers once told me]
Tip #2 - you need sharp scissors to cut fabric, especially denim. Treasure these blades- label them fabric only. Threaten death to anyone who uses them for opening their packages.
Tip #3 - hemming web is very useful. I believe Good King Wenceslas had a tailor who used hemming web - it makes the finished hems crisp and even [and possibly deep too]
Tip #4- Turn the garment inside out. Turn up the leg to the correct length and iron carefully, check the hems are level, measure twice, cut once, allowing an adequate hem. Now tuck your webbing inside the fold, right up against the crease, and press again to set the adhesive. Turn garment to the outside.
If the Uber's outside and you're late for the party, just dress and go. If you have more time, either hand stitch with an invisible hem on the inside, or run a line of machine stitching round to give an extra secure edge,
Tip #5
 - for sewing denim always change your needle. Better results, easier for the machine, easier for you. 
Tip #6- check out your machine stitch on your 'donkey' [see here]
My machine offers a triple-step running stitch which is super strong for jeans.
Tip #7 - change the needle back again for non-denim sewing, and put your donkey under the presser foot as you do
[if you let go, and the needle won't drop inside the machine!]
Tip #8 - Have a little fun. Instead of boring running stitch or zigzag, this is an opportunity to try out one of the fancy stitches on your machine. 
Tip #9 check before you leave the shop that the security button has been removed. I went through the self-scan system, and nothing bleeped as I left the store. 
Only on Wednesday when I took the two pairs of the hanger, did I find one of the buttons folded to the inside. I had lost the receipt and did not want to drive all the way back to the store and try and explain myself [yes of course I'd paid, but couldn't prove that!]
Bob went out to the Lathe Palace and removed the button, warning me there may be a hole. I said it didn't matter. 

There were 3 little holes. I fixed on a patch [some of the trimmed leg section] with hemming web, and did a decorative stitch all over it
All four pairs of trousers now shortened!
I've never had a pair labelled "Mom" before, I don't think they do "Grandma" jeans. Just one issue to solve now...
Unlike Steph, I'm not a fan of distressed, holey jeans. I have got to think about some creative darning for these holes on the thighs! 
Tip #10 - teach your children to be generous - thank you Steph for passing these on to me!







22 comments:

  1. Donkey? - Yes! Wenceslas? Oh dear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips and it was fun to read:)
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I distinctly remember being threatened with death should I dare to use my mum's sewing scissors as a child! I didn't understand why and really wanted to use them!!
    Well done for adapting these trousers to your particular petite-legged needs.
    I like the decorative stitches. I remember using one on the denim skirt I made for my mum! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are very kind to say "petite" Kezzie. At the moment short&fat might be more accurate

      Delete
  4. Wonderful tips and you've reminded me that I have two pairs of trousers to be shortened! As for jeans, I just roll up the cuffs! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I look like a Hillbilly with rolled up jeans

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, Ch. I posted it and immediately realised I should not have done so! Yes that IS right!

      Delete
  6. I had never heard about the donkey and that is useful to know. As for fabric shears, I keep mine in the original box, in a drawer near the sewing machine and away from the knowledge of anyone who might abuse them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela. Shall I send you down a rabbit hole. The holes in your Jeans would be an excellent opportunity to practice some 'Boro ' or 'Slow stitching '. 😊. Jean

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My last contribution to the Postcard Project was an attempt at Boro. Your suggestion is a good one, thank you

      Delete
  8. This is my least favourite sewing job! I would use sashiko embroidery over the holes with some spare denim behind. I frequently patch my husband’s jeans but I use the machine and just zig zag the bits on-he doesn’t care what they look like! I use a rotary cutter for fabric where possible now as I find it easier than scissors. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've mended Bob's work jeans with random zigzag over patching too. I have a rotary cutter but cannot get the hang of it for anything other than straight lines with a quilting ruler. My Fiskars are my go-to for 90% of my fabric cutting needs. I have a proper Fiskars sharpener, which helps

      Delete
  9. I admit to having stapled the hem on a pair of jeans. I've also just cut the excess fabric off some pjs and left them like that. I'm a very lazy sewer.

    ReplyDelete
  10. In the early days of teaching, my skirt hem came down at work and I fixed it with the school stapler.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Can't wait to see the finished work! I know it will be good. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No rush, these pale jeans are for summer. But I will post

      Delete
  12. Visible mending is currently on trend. Have fun with your holes!
    PS. Is the term 'fashionable' out of fashion?

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!