Wednesday 29 May 2024

Signs And Wonders

My French accent is dreadful, but most of the time I can work out the words if they are written down. I was able to watch The Big Bang Theory on the TV in the hotel bedroom, and understand the subtitles. But Parisian street signs occasionally caused me to wonder...
Chanter is to sing - so is it forbidden to sing in public? Or must you wear a hard hat whilst doing so, and stand still [don't walk along] I wondered about this one for ages. 
But chantier is a noun, not a verb. It means construction site, and the sign explains that the public may not enter it. 
Then there was this one 

Then there was this one
Sauf desserte locale SAUF
I wonder... Is it
"Save the local puddings" do you think? **
Well I'm all for that one 
- we enjoyed some splendid desserts this week. 
I had Iles Flottantes twice. 
The second of these was huge, the size of a small melon.
 Bob had a large millefeuille, stuffed with cream and red fruits 
- and I had an amazing 5-part pud, comprising three different pots of deliciousness, plus a slim gauffre [waffle] and a tiny cup of coffee. The three pots contained 
  1. chocolate mousse with whipped cream, 
  2. vanilla mascarpone with cream, apricots and almonds, 
  3. a little serving of batons of fresh pineapple with strawberry garnish. 
**I was sort of sad to discover it actually means "no entry, save [excepting] local traffic, and excepting bicycles"! 

It will be strange to get back to Britain where the road signs usually make sense. 

Here's a favourite of mine, from Wiveton up on the Norfolk coast 
I wonder what a visiting Frenchman would make of this sign? 

Today's schedule...Breakfast at 7, Eurostar leaves at 10, back to Romford to collect car from Julian's. Then Norfolk in the evening.





19 comments:

  1. I often wonder how international truck drivers cope with all the different road signs as they travel through the countries.
    I do like the 'local colour' of the Norfolk sign!
    Hope your travel plans go smoothly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Currently sitting at Gare Du Nord waiting to board.

      Delete
  2. Signs in a language one doesn't know are always interesting! Your desserts look delicious! Hope you have a safe return trip home. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Eurostar train departure delayed, but only by 30 mins. No worries!!

      Delete
  3. Hope your journey is smooth and then the delicious feeling of sleeping in your own bed tonight-aaah bliss. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And a decent cup of tea....☕🛌😊👍

      Delete
  4. What a shame your trip is ending, but it sounds as though you packed a lot in.....including those delicious iles flottantes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful time, packed with happy memories

      Delete
  5. French signs still make me chuckle.
    I have a picture of Nick stood under a road sign that says "toutes directions" pointing one way and "autres directions" pointing the opposite way. Nothing else!
    Your dessert is called a "café gourmand" and it's my favourite choice in a restaurant, always a surprise or two as you don't know what you're going to get, and always delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sign is great. Thanks for telling me the correct name for the lovely dessert

      Delete
  6. Everything seems much more exotic in a foreign language , doesn't it? This holiday will have done you a power of good and the memories will last forever. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those road signs are certainly food for thought. Not always what you think they are saying. Glad you enjoyed your holiday and have a safe trip home. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm adept at muttering 'ferme la Bouche' under my breath but not necessarily in a french accent!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hope you have had a safe journey and that Cornerstones welcomes you with that lovely feeling of "home"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Home safe and sound, praise the Lord!

      Delete
  10. I'm glad you are now home safe and sound ... and back to understanding the road signs.

    Those desserts look fantastic and will no doubt 'slow you down'. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!