Monday 13 May 2024

You Gotta Nick A Pocket Or Two...

 

My yellow Seasalt jacket is getting old - a gift from Liz and Steph, Christmas 2016, it's lost its original golden hue, and has some ineradicable marks [which stubbornly refuse to come out, with Vanish or NikWax Shampoo] But I still love it. However the cuffs are really worn and fraying badly. What to do? There was a small inside pocket, rectangular in shape. Having unpicked it, I cut it into three strips, and joined them into a long piece of binding.
Cutting the strip in two, I bound the cuffs, covering up the frayed bits. It's discreet, and tidy, and will give the jacket another season or two. 

There is a time and a place for "visible mending" - but sometimes you just want to repair something without making a feature of the darn or patch. My Top Tip is to nick a pocket and use the fabric for patching or binding. 
I've lost count of the number of pairs of trousers I've mended like this. Either remove the pocket or sew across the opening of the pocket and cut away the fabric behind. 

Have you got any good tips for mending garments to make them live longer? 


26 comments:

  1. Well done on an excellent mend. My late MIL taught me to use a version of this repair using seam tape. When my daughter was small and money was very tight, I would let down dresses and tape the bottom. A piece of ribbon sewn around the hem mark would give another few months if wear and a delighted little girl wore it with pride. It amuses me now that make do and mend is on trend. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I did the "ribbon over the hemline" trick too! I guess every generation thinks they invented these things that their Mums, grans etc n knew about years before

      Delete
    2. Our family used rickrack braid over the hemline. If the fabric over the hemline was not too worn but just creased I used to tie a piece of string around the ironing board and position the hem line face down over the string and iron. The ridge comes out a treat.

      Delete
    3. BRILLIANT Tip! Thanks Sue

      Delete
  2. I love how you mended that jacket! It's a good tip to use the fabric from the pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very neatly done, I love your jacket. It worn by the main Character in the Drama 'Keeping Faith' We've watched it twice, loved it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea for a repair. I remember you getting that jacket, how has the time gone by so quickly? Mind you I was looking at some old photos on the computer the other day and I saw that the slippers I'm wearing now were purchased before 2018 ... I've had my moneys worth for sure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often find myself dating things "well I got it before Lockdown" (that's 5 years) or "it was in Kirby Muxloe" (10 yrs) or "I had it before KM" (30 years)... And there are even things in my wardrobe older than that!

      Delete
  5. Very much not my area of expertise 😄
    You've made a great job of that x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. You did a wonderful job. I hope you can use it for another season or two. Have a beautiful day.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are super talented Ang. We can all learn something from you and Bob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Susan, always happy to share ideas that work

      Delete
  8. I heartily approve of mending a favourite garment! I hope you get quite a long time of use out of it still.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's a super repair! Well done! I love what you did! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have made skirts and dresses longer by slicing the bottom off a few inches, inserting a stripe of contrasting fabric and then adding back the original bottom.Then I made a little bow, or something in the contrast fabric on the top to give the added in part some coordination. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding a co-ordinating detail makes such a difference. When I ran a sewing club, the girls made pj trousers, then used some of the fabric to trim a plain tee shirt, to complete the aet

      Delete
    2. That is a really clever idea! JanF

      Delete
  11. My mother mended like this and I have carried it on the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so good to read... simple skills must be passed on

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!