Thursday 2 May 2024

Your Very Good Health!

"Know the truth, and the truth will set you free" says the Good Book, referring to faith and belief. I am sure that in a wider sense too, knowing the facts, being fully aware of what is going on, is helpful in determining our response to things. 
In the last few months, I've had routine tests for bowel cancer [the Poo Test] and breast cancer  [mammogram] Both of these tests were free - and I am happy to report all is well. T Often we do not seek treatment till we are really ill and symptoms are apparent - but maybe the condition was already there, and if spotted sooner, could have been treated more effectively.
The NHS is working with 'Our Future Health' to gain a wider picture of the nation's health. Bob and I both signed up for this. An online questionnaire, and a 15 minute check [in the large mobile unit in Morrison's Car Park] I opted for an early morning slot [and was home again by 9am] There are twelve of these units working all round the country.
The practitioner measured my height, weight, waist, and cholesterol levels - and also took a blood sample. I was given the four results, and had a brief conversation about them. This wasn't a health check in that sense - it is collecting data to be analysed to create the bigger picture. So they do need lots of volunteers of all ages and ethnic groups [not just old white grandparents with time on their hands!] 
I was already aware that my BMI is too high, and my cholesterol is in the amber range for heart issues [that's a genetic thing] But I discovered that I'm also teetering towards high risk for type 2 diabetes. I must be much more disciplined, stop talking about cutting back on cakes and start actually doing it!
I was given a copy of my data to bring home, along with details of websites of British Heart Foundation, and Diabetes UK where there was relevant helpful information. These groups are collaborating in this project with the NHS
If you are in the UK,do check this out. If the collection and processing of the data from a significant sample can benefit the health of the whole nation, I think it is a good thing. I know some folk do not like sharing their personal data, but to be realistic, if they are on the internet or have a loyalty card, then that ship sailed long ago.


This may not have any significant impact on my health - but it could help Rosie, Jess, George and Jacob as they grow up. And that's a good legacy.

18 comments:

  1. Like you, we always take up our screening opportunities and feel grateful for them. Norrie is 9 months older than me (75)and he will have a springtime Covid booster soon. Off to the u3a Craft Group this morning so looking forward to that. (Even if it is very prescriptive!!). Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm too young for the Covid booster. And caught in this odd age bracket where I am both too old AND too young for the shingles vaccine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a good idea. Did you get the £10 voucher?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done to you and Bob. I have been diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes I am not surprised as it is in our family and our oldest son and two of his first cousins are Type 1 (he has been since he was 11) and my aunt and maternal grandmother were Type 1 as well. In two months I have lost 6 kgs and brought my blood sugars down drastically by cutting carbs and no sugary foods so can be controlled by diet. It's good to be aware as we get older of possible pitfalls health wise plus as you say for future generations. Good health 👍 Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh well done for managing your blood sugars through suet

      Delete
    2. Oops. That autocorrected - DIET definitely not SUET !😊

      Delete
  5. Well done getting all the health screening tests done and volunteering to have your information in the data bank.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Always useful to have info about your health.
    I'm like you - probably should cut back drastically on empty carbs like cake but find it tough 😏 X
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's great to hear positive news about the NHS. In our town we used to have a useful free service once a month, whereby a couple of paramedics would come to a location and test seniors who dropped in. They chatted and did blood pressure, pulse, oxygen level and blood sugar and we had a little book to keep the records in. I liked it as it was a way to keep DH involved with his health on a regular basis, which many men are not good about. I think the pandemic put an end to it unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounded like a good scheme- what a shame it stopped

      Delete
  8. Oops, just bought a coffee and walnut cake from Co-op because it was reduced!I shall take it to my son's on Sunday when I go visit! Maybe shouldn't be making my own bread either, though I'm using organic flour, lo salt and no sugar!Also using cholesterol lowering yoghurt, spread and milk. Anything to stay off those statins!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Making your own bread sounds better than UPF shop bought white stuff. Coffee and walnut cake is a favourite in my family too

      Delete
  9. That sounds a useful thing to be part of.
    I've got a work colleague who eats way too much protein/meat and I do worry about his inards- he'll consume an entire pack of Pepperoni slices or cheese blocks as a post dinner snack- he's very slim but I do think we don't know what is going on inside us.
    I'd be interested to know what my cholestrol was now as we had a free lifestyle check like this at work aboit 5 years ago and mine was 2.9- I think I was lucky genetically!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have must very heart-healthy genes. Not sure about your colleague though!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!