Wednesday 28 July 2010

A Cinderella Story

Today’s post brought a parcel from Liz – my Marie Claire Idees magazine, and a book. The accompanying card said it was one she’d enjoyed on holiday – but warned me not to get too attached as she wanted to lend it to others! I decided that, in view of my tiredness, I would have a lie-down and a read. I fully expected to fall asleep.

However, two hours later, I’ve just finished the book!

miss pettigrew

“Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day” is set in the 1930’s. Written by Winifred Watson in 1937, it is the story of a day in the life of a prim governess [a curate’s daughter] Miss P should adopt as her motto that maxim of George Eliot - “It is never too late to be who you might have been”

It is a funny, witty, perceptive and light-hearted fantasy. Ideal holiday reading.

Thank you Liz – feeling quite cheerful and relaxed now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!