Thursday 3 March 2011

Follow The Yellow Brick Road!

Today is World Book Day, and a very pregnant teaching colleague rang up to ask if I had any ideas for a costume which was a; literary and b; big enough to cover The Bump.

Two years ago, Steph and Mark needed fancy dress costumes for a New Year’s Eve Party and this gave me some inspiration.

IM003116

I dug out my cloak [made back in the 70s when I was a student, and then given a longer starry hem when Bob need to be Merlin at a dress up do in the 80s] I made Steph a floppy fabric wizard hat using some black fabric from the great stash. I also made Mark a rather fetching elf costume. Modelled here by Steph…

IM003120

Follow the link above if you need the tutorial for pointy hats!

Voila! Pointy Hat, Voluminous Cloak, Red Slippers and Green Face Paint all retrieved from the loft.

DSCF2031

That should help re-create The Wicked Witch Of The West!

oz wicked witch west

oz slippers

 

Technically, the Witch in Frank Baum’s original book had silver slippers, but when MGM were making ‘Oz’, Technicolor was just taking off, and the idea of glittering ruby slippers would give an added ‘pop’

I should just point out that my teaching friend is one of the sweetest, kindest people I know, and has no witch-like qualities at all [although she is extremely good at spelling!]

World Book Day is Brilliant, and I am always excited when schools take it seriously as an opportunity to get children reading.

4 comments:

  1. Oh we're not at all readt for Book Day here at all- it's all rush and bustle and lifts and all. Must see what I can do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. World Book Day - I have many happy memories! Any excuse to dress up eh? lol!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of World Book day--do you suppose it's because I'm American and we don't actually acknowledge the rest of the world exists? Hope it's not that!

    I used to have nightmares about the Wicked Witch of the West. Your costume, however, does not look nightmarish at all. You're so handy!

    xofrances

    p.s. got your postcard!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I enjoyed seeing the Junior school all dressed up here. My friend Katie (Year 3/4 teacher) was a great scarecrow, glad she didn't meet your friend the witch!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!