Wednesday 2 November 2011

All Sewn Up At Last

I began the kilt on September 16th. And got diverted by making Bob’s pyjama trousers. Then there was a delay getting the strap. However, I can announce that the garment is finally properly finished and wearable!

DSCF2507The skirt began as an ankle length M&S kilt passed onto me by a friend who had no further use for it. I made myself a ‘toile’ from an old duvet cover, using this book to create the pattern.

sew-what-skirts

Here’s the toile pinned to the original skirt. I had to cut the kilt from the lower part, avoiding the stitched pleats, and also avoiding the small hole I had spotted. Once washed and pressed, I used the wrong side of the fabric. It didn’t take that long – once I finally got started on the project – but there were lots of interruptions en route.

DSCF2508DSCF2509

DSCF2608

2011 kilt

Unlike Johnnie Boden, I have only put one strap [and a pin] on my kilt. I had problems stitching the strap on –I changed the needle on my machine for a ‘denim’ one and that helped. I found a second piece of tartan in my Stash, and I think I may possible make another kilt if the remnant is large enough. I’m very pleased with this one.

4 comments:

  1. How nice! It turned out great! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very fashionable Angela. Such a good feeling to 'remake' something into another thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I love it! Will you wear boots with it too? Repurposing is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really love. I want a quilt!

    I have decided that "druthers" comes from the phrase "what would you rather?" Say it very, very fast and you could see it devolving into "druthers."

    xofrances

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!