Sunday 27 November 2011

A Pause In Advent #1

Pause in Advent Logo from FlossEarlier this year, for the first time in my life, I had an ear infection and was deaf for a few weeks. It made me think a lot about how we hear,mis-hear or misinterpret words. I decided to make my Advent Pause Posts about ‘Homophones’ – those words which sound the same, but have totally different meanings.

weight [noun] the heaviness of a person or thing [synonym; burden]
wait [verb] Stay where one is or delay action until a particular time or until something else happens. [synonyms; abide/expect]

sisyphus

weight

It is so easy for us to struggle along, like Sisyphus, carrying unnecessary weight, which we do not need to bear.

We need to let go of the burdens, and like Christian, in Pilgrim’s Progress, to leave them at the foot of the Cross.

In Matthew 11 [this is from ‘The Message’] Jesus says this

pilgrim's burdenAre you tired? Worn out? Burned out on religion? Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me—watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly

…and the second word

wait2wait

Advent is all about waiting- anticipating – looking forward to…

Scripture is full of verses that remind us to wait for the Lord.

I am by nature a very impatient person [how I identify with that little boy in the John Lewis ad, who cannot wait to give his gift!] and even after all these years, I still find it hard to wait for things – especially to wait for the answers to my prayers. But I am getting there – slowly – and God is very patient with me [as is my long-suffering spouse] But Hebrews 12 tells us quite clearly

Let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and run with patience the race that is set before us.

wait3

wait-upon-the-lordAnd if we do leave our burdens with Him, and wait for His action and His answer – then we will find our strength renewed – and He will guide us and bless us.

Thinking of Pilgrim’s Progress reminded me of another favourite book – ‘Little Women’

Here’s a passage from it

Mrs. March broke the silence that followed Jo's words, by saying in her cheery voice, "Do you remember how you used to play Pilgrims Progress when you were little things? Nothing delighted you more than to have me tie my piece bags on your backs for burdens, give you hats and sticks and rolls of paper, and let you travel through the house from the cellar, which was the City of Destruction, up, up, to the housetop, where you had all the lovely things you could collect to make a Celestial City."
"What fun it was, especially going by the lions, and fighting
Apollyon" said Jo.
"I liked the place where the bundles fell off and tumbled downstairs," said Meg.
"I don't remember much about it, except that I was afraid of the cellar and … liked the cake we had up at the top.” said Amy,

"We never are too old for this, my dears, because it is a play we are playing all the time in one way or another. Our burdens are here, our road is before us, and the longing for goodness and happiness is the guide that leads us through many troubles and mistakes to the peace which is a true Celestial City. Now, my little pilgrims, suppose you begin again, not in play, but in earnest, and see how far on you can get before Father comes home."

wait5

10 comments:

  1. I love that verse from Isaiah.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela - what a great post. I love the way you link the two words and remind us of God's love and care. Thank you. I shall cherish the thoughts this gives...and it may inspire another bit of art/prayer journalling. Oh, goody!

    I look forward to reading more of your homophonic posts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great words, Angela!
    The Little Women quote is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. As sagacious as ever, dear Ang - and under the influence of your wisdom, I have joined the illustrious company this Advent too.

    Pomona x

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always love that picture of Christian at the foot of the cross with his burden rolling away behind him. A good reminder that some burdens are not ours to carry.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you! The reminder and encouragement to "wait", which I'm not good at, on the Lord.
    I have a tendency to get impatient and want answers now. Oh to be more like Him; He is so patient with us. :-)
    Blessings to you,

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, waiting is often so difficult. How much I have to learn about waiting on the Lord, for his answer, in his time. And Advent is all about waiting, isn't it? Waiting well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for the delightful visit for a Pause in Advent, with such great food for thought. Have a blessed week!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So glad these words have encouraged you. You have NO IDEA how hard it is to decide which homophones to use next!

    ReplyDelete
  10. How I love Little Women and all its wisdom, and the gentle way it shows its faith. Advent is indeed a period of waiting... and how nice to be reminded that it's not just about waiting for a stocking full of gifts or big meal, but for the miracle of Christmas and all its promise.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!