Sunday 17 June 2018

In The Palm Of His Hand

When I went to Albania with Siobhan two years ago, we discussed the fact that I seemed to know all their hymns and she knew none of them. We decided that the Protestant and Catholic music traditions overlap, but there are some songs which one group sings more than the other. Last Sunday we went to our Churches Together Songs Of Praise, held at St Antony's RC Church, West Moors. We had a hymn I do not recall singing before. 
It was written in the 1970s by a priest, Michael Joncas, for a friend whose father had just died. It's based on words from Psalm 91, Exodus 19 and Matthew 13. It has been bouncing round in my head all week and I thought I'd share it today. My research shows me that every Catholic on the planet seems to know it, and probably sang it at their Granny's funeral. Please forgive me if you know it already.  I'm obviously rather late to the party with this one. Whether it is new, or familiar, I hope you enjoy it too


And He will raise you up on eagles' wings
Bear you on the breath of dawn
Make you to shine like the sun
And hold you in the palm of His hand.

3 comments:

  1. That was so beautiful. Thank you for sharing it.
    Carolx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just Love Josh Groban singing, I have a couple of his CDs but this isn't on either of them.
    A lovely new hymn

    ReplyDelete
  3. A beautiful song, Angela.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!