Tuesday 7 December 2021

Martin, Marmite And A Baby

Two items are hanging on the Christmas tree this year which I've had for sometime, but they have now been officially designated "Decorations".

Marmite launched a set of 'icon' baubles last week - a Marmite jar, Hellmann's mayo, PG Tips teabags and Colman's mustard. A rather quirky selection - but proceeds go to the Trussell Trust. They sold out almost immediately. [I hope the people now trying to sell them at a profit on eBay are going to send their  profits to the TT] But I love Marmite- and I remembered that in my car I have this little plastic jar which my cousin Gill gave me years ago. 
I have always used it to hold car park change. But in these unprecedented times, carparks usually want payment by card or phone app. So this is another memory for my tree.  
In 2017, it was the 500th anniversary of Martin Luther's "95 theses". I mentioned to a Lutheran friend that I'd love to get Bob a Playmobil theologian but they were sold out. She was in Germany and saw one in a shop, and sent it to us as a gift. He used to stand on my ornaments shelf [that went before the move] So I have hung ML on the tree instead. Rather fitting, as it is believed to be Luther who introduced the idea of putting lights onto the Christmas Tree as a reminder that Jesus is the Light of The World.
We were going to have regular pancakes for lunch - but Liz opted to make a "Dutch Baby"** instead. She used Nigella's recipe [here] which cooked up beautifully in my cast iron Le Creuset Skillet.
I chopped up some fruit, andthat, plus yogurt, and a trickle of golden syrup made a lovely topping. Rosie really enjoyed her portion! [she's very fond of Yorkshire Pudding, and this is basically a large, sweet version]
I shall be definitely doing this one again - the website has instructions for smaller quantities.
It was a bit of a treat - we are still being careful about sugar/carb intake - and pleased to report that we are both pleased with our progress with weight loss.
Have you made a Dutch Baby? Or do you call it something else?
And have you any quirky decorations on your tree?
[**Bob says 'Dutch Baby' is nothing to do with Max Verstappen's somewhat childish antics at the Grand Prix!]






15 comments:

  1. The resellers of popular items just for profit do make me cross! Your keyring is quirky and cute. I've never made a Dutch baby, nor Yorkshire puddings actually but I would like to! My quirkiest Christmas decoration is our Christmas hyena who was bought as a clue for our wedding treasure hunt. He was redesignated a decoration.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh how Rosie would love that! She's animal crackers!

      Delete
  2. I shall look up the recipe!
    Day six of chocolate Advent calendars and mince pies and my weight hasn't gone up yet; I'm a little worried that one of these mornings I will step on the scales and all the pounds will have arrived in one go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the downside of the 100day dress - it skims the curves, and you don't notice changes in shape. Once you start buttoning waistbands, you may realise where those mince Pies went. (I hope that isn't true for you, and you're so busy you burn off the extra calories)

      Delete
  3. We have felt Christmas koala decorations for the tree, sent to us by our son and his partner who live in Australia. One day we hope to visit them and maybe see koalas for real.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a lovely reminder of family faraway - celebrating Christmas in the sunshine. I do hope you get to Oz eventually

      Delete
  4. My grandma used to make a yorkshire pudding to be cut and served with brown sugar and lemon as a dessert.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was quite common years ago to do that

      Delete
  5. I make Dutch Baby for breakfast on special holiday mornings, Christmas, Easter, birthdays, etc. I sauté apple, pear, orange slices in butter and brown sugar for the topping and then everything gets a dusting of icing sugar. Our most unusal ornament is a tin of sardines. My husband loves "beans and sardines" when left to his own devices for dinner. The ornament is made of glass and really does look like an open tin of sardines. Happy Christmas, everyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of sautéed fruit on the DB. A can of sardines IS unusual !

      Delete
  6. Catching up with you as it has been a busy few days with a lovely visit form my MIL. Those quirky ornaments are just fab but I never cease to be amazed at the greed of some folk, I guess it is too big a job for Ebay to chase all the dodgy sellers :-(. It sounds like you have had some lovely uplifting days and Rosie's version of the nativity is pure gold! I've heard of Dutch baby pancakes they sound delish but what with all our quirky dietary needs they are a big fat no! Although I'm pretty sure I could find a low carb no sugar keto version though 😂. What about stringing your cards on some wool to make a card bunting? Just a thought 😊. Sending hugs to you, San xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sally Ann - family visits are great, aren't they? I've thought about bunting too. At the moment I'm just putting the cards in a basket until I've made up my mind

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't made a Dutch Baby, but, it looks delicious!
    Very few quirky decorations on my tree (not up, yet), but, for my daughter's first Christmas, I hung a pair of her baby shoes on the tree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never heard of a Dutch Baby but it sounds great. I have some ornaments on our tree that were not sold for Christmas trees, a tiny pair of pottery Dutch clogs from a Dutch friend, a small stained glass butterfly from another friend, a crystal "jug" with handle from another friend - all things that would clutter the house normally but serve beautifully on the tree. As for the Martin Luther ornament - no way I would want him on my tree! He has a lot to answer for, even if he did introduce lights on a Christmas tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have tiny pottery clogs from our holiday to Amsterdam many years ago, a beautiful city

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!