Wednesday, 15 June 2022

Cutting The Ties

One significant change in retirement is Bob is rarely in formal dress these days- fewer occasions requiring a suit with collar and tie. This has reduced my ironing load [whoopee!] and the few ties he has kept stay unworn in the wardrobe most of the time. He has one shirt which he loves, a blue, cotton twill "Oxford". It is loose, and comfortable. But it is rather old, and the collar has worn right through.

I unpicked the collar and lifted it right out of the collar band. Then restitched the gap along the top of the band by hand. 

Voila! a casual collarless shirt. Perfect for balmy summer days. No tie required






10 comments:

  1. That was a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a teen, my mother used to do that with men's shirts which I thought was so cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I won't ask how long it was since you were a teen!

      Delete
  3. That's a brilliant idea, and very fashionable too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I notice that many retailers call these "Grandad Shirts" - so that makes them very appropriate for Bob now!

      Delete
  4. I'll have to try that because some of Dan's shirts are doing the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have also done the same operation on skye guy's work shirts. Voila - new style!
    ~ skye

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a very clever make-over!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good job! It has turned out well. I have "turned" a collar or two in the past but this is a good idea for the casual ones.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!