Sunday 16 April 2023

An Unexpected Blessing From A TV Show

We really enjoy NCIS [Naval Criminal Investigation Service] and have been watching the spin off show, NCIS Hawai'i. The other week, we saw an episode involving an officer who had left the US Navy to become a monk. At the end of the story, the monk asked an NCIS agent, who was struggling with difficult issues in his life, if he would allow him to say a prayer of blessing over him. I have searched around, and I think it was this one from the Franciscan tradition. I found it quite challenging, and share it with you today...

May God bless you with discomfort at easy answers, half truths, and superficial relationships, so that you may love deep within your heart.

May God bless you with anger at injustice, oppression and exploitation of people, so that you may work for justice, freedom and peace.

May God bless you with tears to shed for those who suffer from pain, rejection, starvation, and war, so that you may reach out your hand to comfort them and turn their pain to joy.

And may God bless you with enough foolishness to believe that you can make a difference in this world, so that you can do what others claim cannot be done.

Amen.


10 comments:

  1. That first line about easy answers and half truths is especially important to me today as I am preaching about Thomas. I can't call him doubting Thomas: I think Honest Tom is better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always felt it was an unfair name too

      Delete
  2. That is a very thought provoking blessing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate well written prayers which make me think!

      Delete
  3. May we all be mindful about these issues and this blessing.
    My Grandma used to say "Don't be so heavenly mined that you're no earthly good." Amen!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't come across this excellent prayer before. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is an excellent prayer! Very challenging but reminds us of just how easily we can miss the mark! Kx

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!