Thursday 27 April 2023

Simply The Vest...

I really appreciate having so many blogfriends 'across the pond' - but as George Bernard Shaw once said, we are 'two nations divided by a common language'. Take the simple phrase

A man in vest and pants, with chips
Here in the UK, we would think of this guy**..
but over in the USA, people might think of this one...
[Gary is now fronting an ad campaign for Next - another company from his home city of Leicester]
Personally I like the term "waistcoat", even though "vest" was the original term used by King Charles II in October 1666 when he actually decreed it to be the correct fashion for men's dress.

Between us, Bob and I have a number of these garments. I've made/acquired a few over the years, and hung on to them because they are very useful for play costumes. Bob has a couple which came with suits, and a few 'posh' ones which liven up a dull outfit.
This week I bought a couple of cheap Union Jacks in the supermarket, and made new fronts for old vests, to provide us with a pair of patriotic waistcoats to wear at the street party.
I am also making one for the guy who is 'Town Crier' for the afternoon. His will look like Bob's vest. Being mean, I've made my waistcoat from the trimmings - it is still red, white and blue.
It's a shame that Gary's suit costs £450, I think Bob would look pretty good in this blue one.

[** I'm sorry that the guy in his underwear is Homer who is American, but I couldn't find an acceptable picture of a half-dressed Brit!. I'm not apologising for the picture of Gary] 

 




18 comments:

  1. I like your Union Jack waistcoats! My wardrobe is sadly lacking in vests/waistcoats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They can provide a useful extra layer of warmth - or jazz up a dull outfit. But your climate is warmer than mine, and I'm sure you never wear dull outfits, Bless!

      Delete
  2. The differences between English and American English is very marked at times isn't it. There are some good YouTube videos of couples saying what they would call things on either side of the pond.

    You need never apologise for a picture of Gary!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The differences are marked, as you say. We had a neighbour who'd come to the UK from Chicago, and she'd come round and say "why don't the assistants in the shops understand me? What have I said wrong?"

      Delete
  3. You are as clever with words as you are with your sewing. The vests will be real charmers at the street party.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yet another time when I marvel at your sewing ingenuity and ability. How fabulous the festive waistcoats look. Be very grateful I don’t live nearby or I would be forever popping round to ask if you could just run me up this and that!
    Nicky K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Always a witty and interesting post, Ang! Now, about "biscuits"!
    You, Bob, and the Towncryer will be the belles of the street party on the 6day!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh biscuits - we were so disappointed to discover they were not the sweet treats they are here! But we understand that our biscuits are your cookies. But our jam is your jelly. And our jelly is your jello (but why do you have jello with salads?)

      Delete
  6. In my first year in Canada, I tried to share a joke from England with my co-workers: "What do you get if you cross a robin with a vulture? Rather depressing Christmas cards!" Unfortunately the North American robin bears no resemblance to the one we love in England, neither is it ever portrayed on Christmas cards!
    I'm getting excited about your street party and looking forward to hearing about it later! The vests are great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So easy to get it wrong. An English preacher I heard of was visiting the States and announced his sermon title "The five important 'buts' of the New Testament" (referring to Bible verses with the word 'but' in them) unfortunately his hearers heard "butts", which is not the same at all

    ReplyDelete
  8. The language differences can create some funny, and embarrassing, situations! Those waistcoats (vests) are very well done. I can sew, but I don't really enjoy it, so I do it when absolutely necessary. I do admire fun projects like yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sometimes I have to "decode" blogs by American friends!

      Delete
  9. And you describe yourself as "mean", which in the US, is nasty, selfish, or malicious! not parsimonious or frugal! Anne in WY

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anne. I'm definitely frugal, but I hope I'm never malicious

      Delete
  10. These look marvellous! You are clever! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou. Everybody has a gift. Mine is sewing

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!