Wednesday 26 April 2023

Knock!Knock! Who's There? Arabella

Arabella Who? Arabella Fontay. 
That's a really old joke, and probably not understood by anyone under the age of 55. But I remembered it yesterday when I heard that Harry Belafonte had died.

He was a really popular singer in the 50s and 60s. My father was very fond of the man and his music - Harry was born in Harlem, New York in 1927, the son of poor Caribbean immigrants. As well as being a singer, he was also an activist, working against racism and poverty, for all his life.A great friend of both Martin Luther King and Nelson Mandela, he spoke out on behalf of the marginalised, the oppressed and the impoverished. He was not afraid to criticise the American Presidents, whether Democrat or Republican. He was a Goodwill Ambassador for Unicef
He popularised the calypso style - and many of his songs were about life in Jamaica and the Caribbean. Perhaps the most famous is the Banana Boat song [Day-O] - with the call and response sections
But he had other songs too  - the crazy "Jump In The Line" and the nostalgic "Island in the Sun"

But the Belafonte song I love the best is one which we sing every Christmas, one which reflects Harry's lifelong Christian faith 
Oprah Winfrey's tribute yesterday described him as "a trailblazer and hero to us all" saying "Thank you for your music, your artistry, your activism, your fight for civil rights and justice. Your being here on Earth has blessed us all."
RIP Harry  Belafonte 1927-2023


16 comments:

  1. Sadly, none of the videos or pictures will launch on my phone but this is sad news. I was fond of the songs you mentioned. He did some really important work as well as creating joyful music! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine your classes have probably sung "Mary's Boy Child" at Christmastime

      Delete
  2. He also helped to bring about We Are The World for aid to Africa. I grew up listening to his songs and, as a child, I thought that "Island in the Sun" was about Sri Lanka! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder about "We are the world". I think YOU are allowed to apply "This is my island in the sun" to Sri Lanka , Bless!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful singer and listening takes me back to my childhood. My comments haven’t been posting recently so fingers crossed today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you - this one worked (whoever you are)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I, too, was saddened by the news as his songs were part of my childhood, too. What a fine man!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was in my teens when my father, mother, her sister and I went to see him perform in Toronto. When singing “Matilda” he had the audience sing along on the chorus, directing “men sing”, “women sing” etc. there was absolute silence when he shouted out “women over 40 sing!”, then everyone laughed. It was a great evening. “Island in the Sun” is one of the few songs I worked out chords for so that I could play my guitar and sing it. I have a number of his albums - perhaps I’ll play some today as I cross stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely memories. I like to listen to music when I'm stitching

      Delete
  7. He was a real gift to us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. His personal life was a bit messy but his contribution to the struggle for civil rights in the USA , his opposition to much of American foreign policy in Vietnam ,Iraq and the Middle East, his humanitarian work in Africa etc should be remembered as much as his music.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!