Tuesday 18 April 2023

Steak My Knife On It

Just occasionally we have steak - it's way cheaper to buy it and cook at home than go out to a fancy restaurant. We like the ones from Aldi, good value British meat. But our regular table knives aren't much good at cutting it.
So we splashed out on a set of four steak knives from Pro Cook. They came in a cardboard box and sleeve "Eradicating plastic packaging where possible" But eighteen months down the line, the box has split, and the cardboard sleeve flaps about, even with elastic bands round it. 
I made a simple roll using a spare tea towel.
It took most of Saturday morning. I used the length of the towel, and the pocket for the blades is double thickness- plus I stitched an extra strip inside the bottom for added protection for those sharp points.[Three rows of zigzag stitching too]  The top flap folds down over the handles, then it rolls up and ties.
This roll will slip neatly into the sideboard drawer, keeping knives together and protecting fingers. And whenever I use them, I shall think of Jim, our Ferndown neighbour, who passed on this pretty, vintage teatowel. I am on a roll!


20 comments:

  1. Well done on using something beautiful to make something useful. I made several cutlery rolls when we had the motorhome as it helped to stop the cutlery rattling. I also used dishtowels. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rolls are an efficient use of space too - I can see they'd be useful in a motorhome

      Delete
  2. Lovely tea towel and a very clever way to store your knives!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely tea towel! That is a good use for it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a very pretty way to store them. I have two steak knives (or tomato knives as we non-meat eaters call them) just loose in a section of my cutlery tray ... I won't show them how other more posh steak knives live, they'll be jealous!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Susan from Across the Pond18 April 2023 at 12:02

    Lovely, lovely. And so useful. I like this ever so much more than the original cardboard sleeve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The cardboard had been properly recycled

      Delete
  6. Very pretty and a nicer use for it than drying dishes I think.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea. You have inspired me to make one for my car picnics. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect solution for a prickly problem and it will be like a hug from Jim, too!

    Hugs from me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. If I'd have known you wanted steak knives, I'd have passed our ones onto you as we don't use them!
    Your roll looks super ! Kxx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely. You are, as we say up North, right clever :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you and yours had a good Easter

      Delete
  11. What a good idea, and they are well protected!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!