Friday 21 April 2023

A Right Royal Rave-Up

Plans are going well for the Coronation Street Party, we had another committee meeting before Easter.

"How do we let people know the event has started?" somebody asked "We could get someone with a loud voice to shout out" another replied. Why not have a Town-Crier type person to ring the bell and declare the proceedings started?" I suggested "I have a suitable bell and a loud voice" It was felt that it ought to be a man, and I was asked if I'd mind lending my bell to somebody else. I decided it would not be helpful to argue that there are plenty of female town criers. 
At the next meeting, we were told that the person in question would do the honours, provided he could borrow the bell beforehand to practice! So my bell has been delivered. 
People thought we should have a banner in the village to let people know which day it was happening - but funds are so low it was not possible to have one made. I offered to produce a simple one like we'd had outside the church for the Pancake Party and Holiday Club. More spray painting in the garage...
I did wonder if we could have one of those cut-out stand-in things so children could be the King and Queen and have their photo taken. But they are rather expensive. Then I asked Bob if he could provide a bit of wood with two holes, and we could paint our own figures. That wasn't cheap either. Final solution - two cloaks, a regal gown and a fancy embroidered waistcoat. They can dress up and get a parent to take a picture.
 👑👑👑👑
Thank you Liz for the discarded silver grey duvet cover, and Marion for the trimmings from the gold and voile curtains. I covered an old waistcoat with crimson taffeta and trimmed it with some embroidered upholstery fabric from the Stash. Here they are.
As with all such outfits, they are generously sized and adjustable. The cloaks were made using the Cat Cape pattern [lengthened]and they are reversible. The King's Waistcoat is loose fitting, no fastenings.
The dress has velcro down the back, and will slip on easily over other clothes. Using the sash the dress can be cinched in for slimmer children, and the skirt can be hitched up  to shorten it. These should fit children anywhere between 4 and 10. 
Crowns are still in production, as is the throne...
👑👑👑👑👑👑👑👑






 

16 comments:

  1. Looks as if it's going to be a very good party

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope so. Village events are often brilliant

      Delete
  2. It's the Stangsh (Ang Stash!😁) to the rescue again! I'm not sure what a local community would do without you and your creativity! The costumes and the banner look fantastic!
    Hmmmm, feeling a little disgruntled over the suggestion that the TC needs to be male. I can bellow over 300 children and 30loud recorders playing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can live with a little disgruntlement, as long as we get our children's tent

      Delete
  3. Things are on the way - whatever one's feelings about the Coronation a party is always fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree (altho a good party usually takes good planning)

      Delete
  4. Sounds like a fun party! You are so good at organizing such events!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love being able to share joy and happiness with others

      Delete
  5. The arrangements for the party sound great. I think that dressing up for a photo will be even more popular with the kids. The craft skills that you and Bobby have are used in so many ways, and varied events.. Lovely to read about it all. Love Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spending today preparing crafts and crowns

      Delete
  6. Ohhh how exciting... a coronation doesn't happen every day. I look forward to it.
    Well done the preparations... great ideas, especially with dressing up the children :-)))
    Great.
    Best regards to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right - this is the first coronation of my lifetime!

      Delete
  7. It sounds like it is all going to be fun and a memorable occasion that the younger ones will be telling their grandchildren about one day!
    I shall be remembering the second time in my life that I watched a television, and the delicious spread set out for the people invited to a large flat in Surrey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great memory. The first time I watched a COLOUR TV was at a friend's house in the 1970s for Princess Anne's wedding

      Delete
  8. It will be my 2nd coronation, but I think I was 2 so don't remember the first one!
    Won't the kids be excited and what great memories will be made, thanks to the creativity you and the others have shown?!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!