Thursday 13 April 2023

I've Had My Chips!

Oops! Bob has done two stints at the Hospice this week - and on Tuesday he went off in my little Toyota, leaving me to a day of sewing. 

When he got home, he told me that on the way, a large stone flew up and chipped the windscreen.The total chipped area is almost as big as a 2p piece. Since Tuesday, a rather long crack has appeared going diagonally across it.

Fortunately it doesn't obstruct the driver's vision. But it is large enough to merit a full screen replacement. I have to say I was very impressed with A-plan, our Insurance brokers, who dealt with it all very efficiently, and the car will be going into Norwich soon to be fixed.

There is a £100 excess charge - but compared to paying the total cost [upwards of £450] I feel that is not too bad. And nobody was hurt. Steph and family had a puncture over the Easter Weekend, and she was pleased with the excellent service they received from Green Flag Breakdown.

Car and household insurance policies are regular feature of our budget. After two floods, two burglaries and innumerable vehicular claims, I can honestly say the premiums have been worth it. I haven't travelled a lot, but again, I have been grateful that I've had costs reimbursed after problems [eg when I was ill in August and had to delay my trip to Manchester by two days] My son in law Gary is an insurance broker - and I know he agrees with me! Car accidents and domestic crises are not pleasant - but it is reassuring to know that we are covered. 



15 comments:

  1. That's good that your car insurance paid for most of the cost of replacing the windscreen. I agree that having car and home insurance is very important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine that health insurance is a really important part of the budget for you in the US too

      Delete
  2. That reminds me to sort out my house insurance - it's gone up by £40 - need to look around I think

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The annual "shopping around" is a pain, but is often worth it

      Delete
  3. Oh no that's not good. Yesterday I was driving down the highway beside a dump truck and a stone flew up. Thankfully it didn't chip my windscreen. Insurances are all going up over here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for easy fixes! Around here they come to your house and replace the glass and it's about the same price with the deductible. I'm thankful! I hope you had fun sewing! xoPom Pom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because its a whole new screen, it goes into their garage to be fixed undercover (vital with all the rain we've had lately)

      Delete
  5. I don't think we've ever had a whole windscreen replaced. They've usually done a spot patch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The guy said "not sure we've got enough resin in all of Norfolk for a chip that bad"

      Delete
  6. Sorry to hear about your chipped and cracked windshield. Insurance is certainly important. Our friends lost their home to a fire 30 years ago and thanks to their insurance they were able to rebuild and replace furnishings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really upsetting - fire is so destructive

      Delete
  7. I was mortified when the guy that came to fix my chip in the work car park said I needed a whole windscreen. It was done in a jiffy and I was very impressed.
    I think the problem with a large chip is that the whole windscreen can suddenly crack over causing major loss of visibility.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are right, the crack is getting worse daily

      Delete
  8. Big crack!!!😲 Glad the insurance replaced it!x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!