Wednesday 19 April 2023

My Green And Yellow County

 As I drove across to my craft session on Tuesday, I was very aware of the signs of spring all around me. And especially the colours of fresh green and sunshine yellow everywhere. 
Daffodils on the verges
Dandelions in the grass
Tiny paler primroses
Oilseed rape in the fields
Later in the year there will be mustard [this is the Sandringham estate]

Our county is a riot of green and yellow - it is even the colour of the Norwich City* Football Strip. They are nicknamed "The Canaries", not just for the colours, but because canary breeding has been a popular pastime here for centuries. Many Belgian and Dutch people settled in Norwich over 350 years ago- refugees** fleeing religious persecution, imprisonment and death in their homelands. 
Norwich became their City Of Sanctuary, Known as "The Strangers" many were weavers, whose little yellow songbirds kept them company during their long hours working at the loom. At one point, almost one third of the population of Norwich were people from the Low Countries. Their contribution to the life and prosperity of this county cannot be measured.
NCFC has the oldest football club song still in regular use - Dating back to Victorian times, "On the ball, City" is sung before each game.

Kick it off, throw it in, have a little scrimmage,
Keep it low, a splendid rush, bravo, win or die;
On the ball, City, never mind the danger,
Steady on, now’s your chance,
Hurrah! We’ve scored a goal. 
City! City! City!

I LOVE MY BEAUTIFUL GREEN AND YELLOW COUNTY !!
Do you connect the place where you live with a particular colour?
* Norwich City FC is owned by National Treasure Delia Smith [although she herself lives in Suffolk]
** they came in little boats across the North Sea, without proper passports or identification papers. And were welcomed and supported. How times have changed.









11 comments:

  1. Green and yellow are such joyous colours aren't they. I always associated our Welsh home with the colour green, the views were amazing and I made sure to bring the colour into the house in all sorts of ways. Here, I don't really link it with any colour yet, isn't that strange!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wrong of me I know, but when I think of urban Lancashire, it's a restful palette of blues and greys (like Renoir's "Les Parapluies")

      Delete
  2. Susan from Across the Pond19 April 2023 at 12:25

    I truly enjoyed this post. I love the way you weave history, nature, and local storytelling into your writing. You have a gift for both words and pictures. Clever you! Thank you for bringing this bit of sunshine and spring to my day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everyone needs a little sunshine 🌞 each day

      Delete
  3. Lovely photos
    I always think of shades of green when trying to describe west Wales
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always interesting! Have you thought about compiling your posts into a book? A while back, I read a book that seemed just that way: short stories of one or two pages and it was quite enjoyable.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it would need a lot of editing!

      Delete
  5. Lovely to see a photo of primroses, brings back memories as they are a flower that does not grow wild here. I suppose I could associate Ontario with blue for the lakes, grey for the rocks (although some are brown), and various shades of green for the trees (except in fall when they go berserk with a riot of colour), and of course white for the months of snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ontario sounds wonderfully colourful
      throughout the year

      Delete
  6. Here I love the riotous yellow when the broom flowers. It lights up the hillsides. Love FD xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Broom always reminds me of history lessons, when we were told that it was the emblem of the Plantagenets from France!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!