Tuesday 23 January 2024

5-A-Day...Or 30-A-Week?

Do you know the word biome ? It is defined as Biome: a large naturally occurring community of flora and fauna occupying a major habitat, e.g. forest or tundra.Biome is a broader term than habitat.
I first came across the word when I visited the wonderful Eden Project where they have cleverly
 created different biomes displaying a Mediterranean Climate, a Rainforest, and an Outdoor Garden. Visitors can experiences the flora and fauna of these different global regions - all in Cornwall. But biome has other definitions, dependent on size.
While a biome can cover small areas a microbiome is a mix of organisms that coexist in a defined space on a much smaller scale. For example, the human microbiome is the collection of bacteria, viruses, and other microorganisms that are present on or in a human body
There has been much discussion of late about the human "gut biome"- the amazing make-up of bacteria ad other tiny organisms that live inside us - and help our bodies to function efficiently.
I've listened to all sorts of BBC science podcasts in recent days [whilst preparing club crafts] with CVT and his UPFs, Michael Mosley, and many others. I have concluded that perhaps I need to eat more 'natural' and less 'processed' foodstuffs. 
I do try hard to get my 5-a-day of fruits and veg.
I am not taken with the whole "4K fermented" plan, that's kefir, kimchi, kombucha and kraut [sauer]  which is supposed to be the best thing out for benefitting your gut flora. As I have been studying Joseph for holiday club, I came across kamut - the 5th 'fermented food beginning with k' which is apparently an ancient Egyptian grain, and made into sourdough is the best thing since sliced bread [NB sliced bread has not been the best thing for quite a while]
None of this appealed to me very much. Then I heard Tim Spector, professor of genetics and epidemiology at Kings College in London talking about 30-a-week.
He said that researchers across the world had discovered that people who eat a diversity of plants across the week - at least 30 different varieties - has healthier gut biomes. That is 30 different things [you can't have 4 bananas a day plus a couple of oranges at the weekend!] but the range includes fruit, veg, legumes, herbs, wholegrains, spices, nuts and seeds. And [bliss!] tea, coffee and chocolate are on the list. 
I thought I'd try listing what I eat this week and see how my 'regular' diet matches up to this. There is a very helpful piece here from NutritionScotland. I started at breakfast Sunday, and after my evening meal on Monday, I had managed fifteen items. Here's a list of typical foods [click on picture to enlarge or read the whole article]
I will see how I get on - I've got a banana in the fruit bowl, and planning home made veg soup late this week. Ans I will sprinkle my seed mix into a home made loaf - that will get me almost to 30. 
One final comment - listening to podcasts means i often have no idea what the presenters look like. I checked out Tim Spector, and concluded he is Gary Lineker's long lost cousin!

Have you tried 30 a week? did it work for you? 

30 comments:

  1. Never thirty a day, Ang, but yes, 30 a week and it has not been difficult, Spices and herbs, nuts - I have six different nuts every week - all are there. And it's fun to look around the fruit and veg in the supermarketandbut small quantities of things I ve not tried - I've just discovered persimmon and it's now a regular for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for alerting me to the typo! I think persimmon is making a comeback (it was briefly marketed as "Sharon fruit" - persimmon sounds more upmarket) How do you eat yours?
      I find my Omega Seed Mix from Grape Tree is very versatile. 4 different seeds. I have just realised that the ingredients of"Omega Seed Mix" varies across the supermarkets. I shall have to investigate more...

      Delete
    2. Sainsbury calls them Sharon fruit - very Chigwell! I chop mine into my salads: my salads have got much more varied of late. I get my seed mix from Lidl and I like it.

      Delete
  2. I have done quite well according to the list and have kefir every day and live yoghurt each day so that adds another two to my list. Thanks for posting this information as it’s reminded me that I need to start tracking what I eat each day again. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! I managed to avoid deleting your comment this morning. I make my own yogurt and use it as an ingredient in baking as well as a breakfast or dessert. Can't really get on with kefir. I'm trying to work through the UPFs in the pantry and buy better in future.

      Delete
  3. Food for thought Angela, thanks. (Seed mix sounds a bit like the bird food that I shovel out in great quantities for hungry birds. Maybe i wont try it.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the birds enjoy it anyway 🦆🦉🐦

      Delete
  4. I couldn't have anything from the legumes, grains or nuts and seeds lists due to having inflammatory bowel disease (runs in my family, maternal side even though we weren't brought up on processed food and I had a mostly Mediterranean diet all the while I was married). Coincidentally, the Gut Doc (I always get his name mixed up with Bruce Springsteen's bass player!) you were talking about last week was just on telly talking about gut health.Would be interested in a tutorial for yoghurt?
    My soup of the week is carrot, parsnip and apple made in the slow cooker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IB issues are so difficult - my SIL has been on a very strict Fodmap type diet over Christmas. My soup (tomato base , with lots of veg, pasta and diced chorizo) was a sort of minestrone, and I made it in the slocooker. Big quantity should do 2 or 3 days

      Delete
    2. That was me, Ang, (Anne!). I'm having such techy issues,! Your soup sounds delish but no chorizo for me thanks! I love my slow cooker! It's like having your own cook! Just shove it all in and walk away!If you make a bit extra, try freezing it for later (though I fear I'm preaching to the converted!See what I did there?).x

      Delete
    3. 👍 Normally I would - but it's been so cold and wet today, I think I'll want soup again tomorrow! I'm not a great fan of chorizo, but Bob loves it, and there was a bit left in the fridge which needed using up.

      Delete
  5. I've tracked my fruit and veg through the week a few times and it comes to close to 30. I'll add live Greek yoghurt to the order and investigate seed mixes to add to my breakfast fruit and nut muesli . We're better at eating fruit now the fruit bowl and banana stand live on the dining room table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I moved my fruit bowl from the kitchen to the sideboard, and it was a good relocation imho

      Delete
  6. Angela what a very interesting post. Thanks for sharing your research. My gut & became very aware of each other a few years back & since then I try to nourish it along, some days it is a win, some days not - I like the time of this research puts it into a week of a variety of healthy choices. I've been reading about the research between our gut & brain connection. ... Mary-Lou

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've had 20 of those in just the past two days. Because I'm eating a plant-based, whole food diet I know I get more than 30 of those in a week. One interesting thing is that I used to struggle with diverticulitis and since eating this way have not had a problem whatsoever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such an encouraging comment Terri. It was a major lifestyle change for you - but clearly the right one.

      Delete
    2. @Terri - are you able to eat nuts and seeds with having diverticulitis? They're an absolute no-no for me.

      Delete
  8. We have been making a glass of whole milk kefir every day for three years from the original teaspoon of kefir “grains,” which keep on growing. A friend found it very helpful for her IBS. I add a sprinkle of turmeric powder in the hope that it does some good, and a bit of cinnamon instead of sugar to my porridge.
    We have had to buy better chocolate to avoid UPF such as soya lecithin, and buy cocoa powder instead of drinking chocolate.
    When did it become legal to adulterate food with nasty chemical additives, to increase profits regardless of the health risks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been using turmeric too (supposed to help with inflammation & arthritis) Also been reading up on cinnamon, often relegated to ,"flavouring for Christmas desserts and biscuits” - but it is ALSO used in many parts of the world in meat and savoury dishes.

      Delete
    2. Cinnamon brings down your blood sugar.

      Delete
    3. Thank you - another benefit!!

      Delete
  9. We have a lot of veggies and salad, and our dessert is often frozen fruit (thawed) or banana, with frozen yogurt for DH and regular Greek yogurt for me, with a little maple syrup. We usually have an apple with breakfast, too. I can't find any attraction to Kombucha, which is sold locally, it just doesn't appeal. Maybe I didn't try the right one? I like to add pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds to porridge, along with raisins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm trying to add good things to porridge -fruit, seeds, yogurt etc but sometimes succumb to a sprinkle of demerara sugar or teaspoon of syrup

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like molasses on porridge occasionally.
    Maple syrup or some of our own honey and nuts on full fat yoghurt for pudding.
    A teaspoon of homemade jam on Natural Greek yoghurt, bought by the litre, is better than some of the junk added to little plastic pots of desserts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is alarming to see how much sweetening is in shop bought yogurts. I'm concerned that it causes children to develop a "sweet tooth" and then they want everything sweetened.

      Delete
  12. I had heard about the 30 a week when another blogger I follow had mentioned it. I don't think I eat 30 different plant based food in a week; in fact, I know that often, I don't even get my 5 a day! Maybe I'll keep track of what I eat during the rest of this week and see how I compare!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't forget this includes even the smallest portions - a few herbs or spices in a recipe, a sprinkling of sesame seeds, etc. I'm sure your tradional Sri Lankan recipes have a diverse range of ingredients.

      Delete
    2. Yes; I made a mackerel curry, tonight, for dinner: curry leaves, onions, tomatoes, green chilies, curry powder (which is a blend of spices - 15 were listed on the ingredients list), chili powder, paprika, and coconut milk. With it, I had dhal (lentils, more onions, curry leaves, turmeric, coconut milk, and green chilies), peach chutney (peaches, ginger, garlic, chili flakes, mustard seeds), and white rice, which doesn't count.
      Yesterday, I had some of my spaghetti sauce, which, in addition to tomatoes, included onions, celery, green bell peppers, and grated zucchini. Maybe I do get 30 a week! :)

      Delete
    3. I thought you'd reach the target (but don't forget, you can only count things once each week, even if you have onions or tomatoes frequently)

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!