Monday 22 January 2024

Words For The Day

I love the way children's vocabularies develop, and how they interpret words in a way that makes sense to them*, if not to the rest of us. Jess always refers to these as Ho-Ho-Hats. And since watching Frozen, I think the whole family has picked up her expression "Let-it-go-flakes" ❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️❄️

But last Sunday I had a WhatsApp message "Can you find some elastic, please, Grandma-Grandma? Jessica wants to put a Ningcorn on her head" which turned out to be her term for a unicorn cake topper.
I found some elastic, and stitched a hairband - and everyone was happy.
No I don't know why I'm called "Grandma-Grandma" 
I think it is to distinguish me from her other Grandma. 


*I had a friend who thoughtthe apostle Philip met a unicorn in the desert [Acts chapter 8] She was in secondary school before she understood what it really said. 
But I'm just as bad as Jess, I was talking to Bob recently about some food in the fridge. I just could not remember the right word, so I asked him 

"Has it passed its use-it-uppity-day yet?" 
Have you got any special family words? 





25 comments:

  1. Your post did make me smile. Our son used to ask if I was going to take-over the car in front while driving. One granddaughter liked jaffet potatoes, she called them that until she was quite oid.
    Father in law is rural Somerset and has lots of odd names for things :-) I think me all sing our own words to some songs until actually reading the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, definitely singing our own words to songs in this family too!

      Delete
  2. Glad she's happy! She looks super cute!
    I'm quite sure we have family terms for things. I know my Mum and sister refer to birds in the garden as Dick-Dicks as that's what my niece called them when young. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pampling = getting nowhere fast and pogging = handwashing clothes both family terms passed down the generations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not heard of either of these - but love both of them!

      Delete
  4. We had a Barrow wheel in our garden when the children were little!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just remembered, we were given a gadget for small vacuum cleaning tasks which our girls called the BustDuster

      Delete
  5. Well my Mum tells me that when I was little I referred to lettuce and most other salad items as 'flou flou's' my word for flowers. It took a lot of persuading to make me eat the flowers, but the term stuck.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Persuading children to eat greens is an age old problem. Broccoli = little trees for many families

      Delete
  6. APOLOGIES I just managed to delete a lovely comment about a christening and washing by mistake. Please can you repost it? I think it was Alison's story. SORRYπŸ€”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was me Ang. Catriona

      Delete
    2. When my brother was christened in 1954 the minister said to the congregation that we would sing his big sister’s favourite hymn. I was four and my favourite hymn was about washing and singeing ie Jesus loves me this I know ( he will wash my sins away) Catriona

      Delete
    3. Thank you Catriona!! This really made me smile

      Delete
  7. Young son (now 60) said "Hoppercotter" for helicopter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That photo of the little one so happy with her hairband - so sweet. I'm heavily into ridiculous nicknames for our dogs.......sometimes the poor things must get quite confused πŸ˜„
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get all the names wrong all the time - and littl'un is constantly telling me "I'm ME, I'm JESS. I'm NOT Rosie!"

      Delete
  9. In our house, Flowers are 'flollies', slippers are 'piddies', cauliflower is 'cobbiflobb', and an umbrella is an 'underbrella'! Yes, we're a tad weird! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🌷🌸🌹πŸ₯ΏπŸ₯ΏπŸ₯ΏπŸ₯¬πŸ₯¬πŸ₯¬πŸŒ‚☔πŸŒ‚πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£

      Delete
  10. The garbage is occasionally referred to as "garbaggles" in our house. Is this because it is put into a bag?

    ReplyDelete
  11. That's an interesting explanation

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jess looks so cute wearing her ningcorn! :D

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!