Friday 12 January 2024

Is It Norwegian Wood?

No, it is Swedish Trees! Let me explain...I was looking for inspiration for the latest panel in the Cross Country Collaboration Project I am doing with Kirsten. I was glad of a return to regular, evenweave stitching, after a month of less structured embroidery on the Advent Picture. We'd both been busy and allowed ourselves extra time. I wanted something which was winter, not necessarily Christmas in theme [sounds a bit like Narnia!] And I discovered an embroidery technique called Swedish Weaving [aka Huck Work] I like Scandi stuff, so I researched a little more.
In the mid 1800s, a Quaker guy called William Christy, was procuring cotton goods in Manchester. His son Henry went off travelling, and saw Turkish workers in Istanbul handweaving cotton fabric with a looped pile. He came home, and got Samuel Holt, one of his employees, to design a machine to make this fabric, which we now call terry-towelling [from French 'tire' meaning to draw out. And Christy's "Turkish towels" became the thing for drying your hands, body and anything else[especially after Queen Victoria became hooked on them after the great Exhibition] 
But for the previous two centuries, towels had been made from Huckaback fabric - a linen [later cotton/linen blend] which had a loose weave, with some of the weft threads being 'floats' which made it both rougher, and very absorbent. A form of embroidery had developed over the years, particularly popular in Sweden, where contrast threads were woven through the loose floats on the huck to make designs. And it was all on the top surface - nothing on the back, except maybe starting and finishing stitches.
I found loads of examples of this online [I had never heard of it until a fortnight ago] The patterns are really hard to follow, usually weird dashes on a grid, accompanied by a photo.The main features of this technique are
  1. it is all worked on top of the fabric, nothing underneath
  2. the threads go from one side of the fabric to the other, the design is linear
  3. However you begin at the centre stitch, with an equal length of thread either side - and work half of it L-R and then the other half R-L
  4. patterns are made by varying the length of stitch and adding vertical or diagonal stitches
I found a line of trees which looked sort of like Christmas trees, and it took two practice pieces before I understood what I was doing, and began work on the main project cloth. Then I had to unpick it all due to a mistake. I had seven different shades of green for my trees, a different brown stitch for the line of earth at the bottom, and one shade of blue for the sky. Then I added golden trunks, to mad eit a bit more festive.
And here is the back- hardly any threads visible- just the 7 green starts & finishes woven through the floats on the back. And two gold trunks. Then I learned how to finish 'on top' so the remaining ends are invisible!
I have enjoyed this new technique enormously. Like the blackwork/Spanish work, it is one I want to use again.
We are coming towards the end of this project, only two sections and the border left to complete!


22 comments:

  1. I am mystified by there being hardly any stitches on the back!!! I know you explained it but it seems impossible! It looks so neat and tidy! Your design is really pretty! Can't wait to see the complete work!! Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The work is done using the "floats" which are the looser woven threads on the surface of the fabric. You can slip a needle under them without going right through the cloth. It is easier to show somebody than to write a description!!

      Delete
  2. You did really well with your huck work! Very cute design.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely work. Amazed at the neat back. Looking forward to seeing the finished work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am in awe of your stitch work skills, and your patience. What a lovely looking technique. This has been such an interesting exchange to witness thank you to both of you for sharing. Sadly my eyesight is not good enough now to do any detailed needlework. I used to be a keen embroiderer but now can just about do any simple repairs to clothing needed and I don't get on trying to see with a magnifying glass/light gadget, so I have really enjoyed seeing your project. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so. I'm so sorry you cannot enjoy stitching anymore

      Delete
  5. In all my many years of cross stitching I have never come across that method. It looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was new to me too! The mathematics of the design structure appeals to me

      Delete
  6. That's pretty mind boggling for someone like me who struggles to sew a button on correctly!
    Looks lovely x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Delightful stitching technique with a very attractive result. I think you achieved your goal splendidly. It's winter-esque with out being Christmas-sy. You are a clever one indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks amazing, to see such a plain back compared to the trees on the front is so strange. You clever girl. :-)

    I used to sell a lot of Huckaback towels when I sold vintage linens, but they were mostly white on white embroidery and I guess I never looked that closely at how they were made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is an amazing technique. I found pictures on line of white-on-white stuff, but the coloured designs are superb

      Delete
  9. Over here, it's know as Huck weaving and I have a few toewls done my my grandmothers and I've done some myself, decades ago. The designs I used were hearts on one towel and geometric patterns on the other towels.
    We're off to a medical appt. today so will look later.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BA - interested that your grans did this weaving. Hope appt went ok

      Delete
  10. You learned a new technique and made a lovely contribution to the project. That must be really satisfying!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks lovely and the technique is amazing.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!