Thursday 18 January 2024

Processing My Thoughts

Back in the 80s, Auntie Peggy announced one year that what she wanted for Christmas was a new processor. "Word, or food?" we said. She was surprisingly tech savvy, but it was a Kenwood she had in mind for her kitchen. It was about the time that I was reading Maurice Hansen's book "E is for additives"- I had two small children and I was concerned to feed them properly - avoiding E102 [tartrazine yellow food colouring], and knowing E500 was safe [ bicarbonate of soda.]
Not all E numbers were dodgy, but I wanted to be careful about what I was feeding my children. ["E" stands for "Europe" - since 1962 scientists across the continent were ensuring food additives were carefully regulated - there are over 1500 on the 'permitted' list]
40 years on, there's a new kid on the block. Dr Chris Van Tulleken, an associate professor at UCL, has written a book about Ultra Processed Food.  I was amused to see it is published by Cornerstone Press! [part of the Penguin Group]
CVTs contention is that 60% of the diet of the population of the UK is Ultra Processed Food, [UPF] and it is not good for us; that it is making us obese, and sick, and causing premature deaths; that the production methods harm the environment
A definition
Ultra-processed food is an industrially formulated edible substance derived from natural food or synthesized from other organic compounds. The resulting products are designed to be highly profitable, convenient, and hyperpalatable, often through food additives such as preservatives, colourings, and flavourings.
I ordered this book from the library in July - and finally I got it last weekend. It needs to go back, there are at least 70 behind me in the queue who have reserved it! But here is my review
I found it hard going - there are interesting stories about how UPF has been developed throughout history - Napoleon III [Boney's grandson] gave a prize to the man who developed margarine from cow's suet, and sheep's enzymes. And Hitler's scientists developing "coal-butter", and other little anecdotes which are interesting and easy to read - but there are loads of pages of chemical formulae and statistics and so many footnotes [sometimes more footnotes on a page than regular text] He covers an awful lot of ground - why choosing a healthy diet is more than sugar, exercise and will power, what UPFs do to our digestive systems, and why the manufacturers are concerned about making a product to generate profits, not to nourish the hungry. 
And why the make-up of UPF is designed to make you overconsume. They even admit it in their ads... The first potato crisps[US chips] were thin slices of potato, fried, and sprinkled with salt. But this popular party snack is a million miles from that.
Pringles have about 42% potato content, the remainder being wheat starch and flours (corn and rice) combined with vegetable oils, an emulsifier, salt, and seasoning. Other ingredients include maltodextrin, dextrose, MSG,  disodium isonate, disodium guanylate, sodium caseinate, modified starch, Mono & di glycerides, autolysed yeast extract,artificial flavourings etc etc... Definitely an Ultra Processed Potato!
CVT talks about food labelling - here in the UK we are used to the "Traffic Light" system, and also the HFSS [High fat, sugar,salt] warnings. These are useful - as far as they go. Young parents don't have time, with a fractious toddler in the trolley and another child in tow, to stop and read every label on every packet as they go round the supermarket. The red/amber/green is a helpful, speedy reference. 
CVT favours the Brazilian NOVA system, whereby foods are classified into four groups
Group 1 - unprocessed and minimally processed foods - meat, fruit, vegetables, but also flour and pasta.
Group 2 is 'processed culinary ingredients' oils, lard, butter, sugar, salt, vinegar, honey - traditional foods which might be prepared using industrial technology. These tend to be nutrient poor and energy dense, so not the survival part of your diet, but the stuff that combines with group 1 to produce delicious food.
Group 3 -'processed food' - the ready-made mixtures of groups 1 & 2 , usually processed for preservation, like salted nuts, smoked meat, canned fish, fruit in syrup, traditionally made fresh bread.
Group 4 is the UPF, defined as "formulations of ingredients, mostly of exclusive industrial use, made by a series of industrial processes, requiring sophisticated equipment and technology. These processes include fractioning of whole food into substances and chemical modification of these substances" UPF is highly profitable [low cost, synthetic ingredients] and has a long shelf life [chemical preservatives] and convenient, ready-to-eat [minimal input needed from the customer] 
The scientists who developed the NOVA scale felt there is a real danger that "these hyperpalatable products are likely to displace freshly prepared dishes from all the other NOVA groups"
CVT tells how when his 3 yr old daughter first saw a box of CocoPops [he had put himself on an exclusively UPF diet as part of his research] she demanded some - pointing out the monkey on the box meant they were designed for children. She had eaten the equivalent of 3 adult portions while he was looking up the nutritional content of said cereal. [once you CocoPop you cant stop?]
He tells of Nestle taking a boat up the Amazon in 2010 to introduce their products to the native tribes. And how adults and children began to crave KitKats etc, even though their resources for purchasing them were very limited. And now diabetes is a serious problem for the Brazilians.
CocaCola's CEO said that because half the world has not yet tasted a Coke, there is a huge marketing opportunity out there. Doctors in the 3rd world weep, because even in remote places you can buy a chilled beverage, but they find it almost impossible to get funding for fridges to keep their life-saving vaccines cool. 
Baby formula is a UPF, and for some mothers it is essential [My Mum was ill, and I was weaned on National Dried Milk in the 50s] However in the third world, giving mothers powder to mix, when they have no clean water to make the solution, or to clean their bottles properly, causes hundreds of babies to become ill and die from dehydration of diarrhoea. 
CVT is really concerned - UPFs are making us ill, while they are making the manufacturers big profits.
He wants us to urge government to think about the food policies they are making.
He wants us to care for our planet - in Indonesia, an area the size of Greater London, was cleared to produce acres of trees for palm oil crops - with dreadful results for the native wildlife, and affecting the climate.
He wants us to read the labels and ask "Do I recognise this ingredient - would I find that in a domestic kitchen?"
I found the book challenging, and I am being more mindful about my food shopping [not that I am eating very much this week - mostly scrambled eggs and milk till my mouth settles down] 
I am aware that cooking and eating habits gave changed enormously since my girls were toddlers - no trips to McDonalds, or 'ping meals' from a microwave or airfryer back then.  Now so much peer pressure on children to eat the snacks their friends do - cheap and accessible. It's really hard for young parents
Last weekend I let Rosie and Jess make their own Ice-cream sundaes for dessert- soft scoop ice cream, squeezy strawberry and chocolate sauces, sponge fingers, coloured sprinkles and squirty cream... all UPF by CVTs definition.  [In my defence, they also added my home made fruit compôte - made with fruits of the forest and demerara sugar. Not UPF] Now I am wishing I hadn't!
I am going to try and be more disciplined about making my own bread and 'baked goods', as cakes, biscuits and snack foods do seem to be among the worst offenders. And try to get a higher %age of my diet from NOVA groups 1 & 2.  But I do not think I can avoid UPF altogether.
Sorry - this has been a very long post. It was and long a complex book!
Is he going over the top with this?
You must draw your own conclusions. 

34 comments:

  1. My husband lives almost exclusively on UPF's and lager. I avoid UPF's wherever possible and it's a constant area of discord. I don't care what he eats, but I refuse to compromise on what I eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a difficult situation. But do stick to your own healthier diet. 👍

      Delete
  2. As ever, an excellent and thought provoking post Angela. We saw him talk about this at the Cheltenham Science Festival this year. He was very good and very reflective. Jill x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jill. I imagine his enthusiasm for the subject made for a good speech

      Delete
  3. I've cut out a lot but table sauces (tartare sauce and cream of horseradish) are my downfall. I'm trying to make my own mayo. I suppose that in this respect I am lucky to have no other people in my household.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never tasted mayo (bought it home made) as good as that made by my late Belgian MIL. I do buy quite a lot of mayo. Also brown sauce and ketchup. I must read the labels and find less processed ones!

      Delete
  4. This is a useful post. I do find this difficult at times. Is Tofu a UPF?
    I probably eat lots of these at the same time as lots of veg/fruit. I do worry about the impact on our children. And UPFs always have big packaging issues (often in plastic). More people need to get comfortable with beans etc! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to cvt tofu is Nova 3 - food which has been processed, but NOT ultra processed. So you're ok with that in moderation! Packaging is a huge issue

      Delete
  5. Thanks for reviewing the book-there have been lots of bits and pieces from the book in the press. I try to stick to as much category 1 and 2 but I was advised to eat Benecol Spread not butter to help lower my cholesterol. Covid lockdowns certainly sent me back to cooking from scratch as we had no chances to eat out/ collect takeaways. My late grandmother used to say that a little bit of what you fancy does you good-I think we have lost the ability to moderate what we eat and there is no doubt that UPFs are very addictive. I’m just going to keep trying my best to keep us healthy to enjoy our older years. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moderation is key! And our grandmas were full of wise sayings (NB the one about eating crusts gives you curly hair was NOT TRUE)

      Delete
  6. I recall a TV series where CVT ate a diet of ultra processed food as an experiment. I remember him finding the food very addictive and his energy levels were low. I try to eat healthily but am a sucker for a biscuit. I am sure that if I made them I would eat many more biscuits!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But your own home made biscuits would be healthier . You could always make a roll of 'fridge cookie dough' and just bake a couple at a time, when the oven is on - rather than have a tinfull of ready made temptation!

      Delete
  7. My doc wanted to put me on statins to lower my cholesterol but they haven't agreed with my tummy so have turned to diy-ing in the form of yoghurts, drinks and spread and last week discovered lowering cholesterol skimmed milk. My doc reckons 'people my age' have a harder time without statins but I'm willing to give it a go.The traffic light system has been a bonus when shopping (for me). Was it CVT's brother who had the cardiac arrest? The programme about them was very emotional.Ps treating your grandchildren once in a while does no harm. It's what grandparents are for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. High cholesterol is a serious family issue with me, have been on statins for years- but GP had to change mine as I had bad reactions to the first lot. Yes it was his twin who was ill. You are a brilliant gran I know - and treating the little ones occasionally is a joy!

      Delete
  8. As you say, moderation is key. I wish we could return to the 'good old days'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. when exactly were they though? The healthiest diet was when we were on rations, apparently, but there was a war on then.

      Delete
  9. I try to eat very little processed food and because of food intolerances cook most things from scratch. I think one way of avoiding some of the UPFs is to look at the product and ask yourself is this something my grandmother would have eaten. As you say a lot of the products that are now the norm were not even around then. Helen S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the point of the 'would granny have eaten this?' but I suspect my gran never ate home made mayo, or broccoli, or fresh tuna.

      Delete
  10. I found this interesting, Angela. As you know I started eating plant-based and whole foods about 6 months ago. But the main thing I've done is cut out sugar and ultra-processed foods.

    I found it irritating when I discovered that many of the big tobacco companies bought out food companies and started add all sorts of flavor enhancers to the foods. So on top of being ultra-processed there are all sorts of things in there to keep us coming back for the very foods that are keeping us sick and unhealthy.

    I'm not opposed to eating meat and in fact have the random chicken or fish meal but mostly eating tons of veggies, fruit, whole grains and starches (such as potatoes).

    I'm off the blood pressure medicine, have a lot more energy, have lost a lot of weight and am in overall better health.

    Sorry for writing a book here! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh you SHOULD write the book Terri! [maybe that is the next part of your journey? if you are doing fewer conferences etc, you could spend your time at home on such a project] I have been really thrilled to read your blog and see how much fitter and healthier you are now. And yes, I agree about the tobacco companies, most now multi-national, multi product operations, continuing to destroy people's health in search of their own profits.

      Delete
    2. It's funny you mention that because I"m in the process of writing a plant-based cookbook. It'll be a downloadable e-book so will announce when it's ready. Doing recipe development which is super fun!

      Delete
    3. thats great news, I look forward to it

      Delete
  11. I started to write a long comment about this but I’m a single ancient living alone so no idea about families now. If mine visit, I cook a meal from scratch, desserts included and I know they all cook every day, the meals always get eaten. Is proper food too expensive and chemical food too cheap? I don’t know. Is Kefir Yog processed ? I’ve just had homemade lentil and bean soup which I guess is processed, it all very difficult. So glad I’m not having to produce a lunch box every day. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I understand it, kefir and yogurt are 'minimally processed' - although you have to watch out for extra ingredients like sugars, fruit flavourings, colourings etc.
      I listened to a programme on Radio 4 last year where the presenter took a young mother and taught her to make a shepherd pie from scratch, with fresh healthy ingredients. At the end of it, the mum pointed out it had taken her all morning to shop and cook [time she didnt have to spare] and the resulting product whilst healthier and better tasting, cost a lot more than a "UPF family-sized value pie" from the supermarket. And her children probably wouldnt notice the difference anyway.
      A homemade lentil and bean soup sounds wonderful today [it is FREEZING outside] and I dont think that is ultra processed. Our eating patterns do change once we do not have family member meals to consider .

      Delete
  12. It's a very interesting and thought provoking book isn't it, well done for having it as a library book and returning it quickly ready for the next person, it took me about three weeks of reading it in small digestible doses to really understand some of it.

    I don't think he is going over the top at all, his and Michael Moseley's opinions on our current eating habits really resonate well with me. I think aiming for an 80/20 (healthy/UPF) split is just about achievable. Once you've read the book stepping into a supermarket and seeing aisle upon aisle of glossy packaging and UPF foods is a real eye-opener.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just made a sandwich for lunch, and was delighted to realise that I recognised ALL the ingredients in my Sainsbury's Mango Chutney . OK it is high sugar& salt, but just a smear of it makes a real difference. I am becoming a little obsessive about checking labels

      Delete
  13. I'm finding dr Michael Moseley's program on helping people sort out their eating habits very interesting. I think it's on chanel 4.

    ReplyDelete
  14. We learned from our younger son (nearing age 40 - YIKES!) that the shorter the list of ingredients is, the better. His "Natural Almonds" in gredients list is alonds. that's all!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Speaking as an Almond myself, I think he is right!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this post, Angela, we need reminding all the time to read labels and curb our intake of UPFs. I do try to avoid the really bad stuff (years ago we all made desserts with "instant" pudding and synthetic cream, now I wouldn't touch them). I regularly buy bags of small ginger cookies because they have very few ingredients at all, but regrettably part of the oil content is palm oil. I may start making cookie dough in rolls to slice and bake. I'm starting to buy more unprocessed frozen fish, but still buy the pre breaded to cook in the air fryer. I rarely buy a can of soup, but I note that lots of easy recipes call for cream of mushroom. I saw expensive cartons of butternut squash soup in the store and smugly remembered my recent homemade version which was delicious. We just have to keep trying, don't we!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yes, keep going! I love homemade butternut squash soup

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you for the review of this book. I'm guilty of consuming a fair amount of UPF without even thinking about it, from the store-bought bread I eat, to the butter I spread on it, to the deli meat I might use with it to make a sandwich. Awareness is the key, I guess. I had frozen breaded shrimp for my lunch, today, but, I made my own fries from a potato, my homemade peach chutney as a dip, and lemonade with lemons from my tree (I did use white sugar to sweeten it, though, and that's a processed item, isn't it?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Butter is OK, as the only additive is a little salt, and sugar is Group 2 - but I think frozen breaded shrimp is UPF. You eat plenty of fruit and veg though, which is good

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!