Monday 15 January 2024

Plaques Of Egypt

Not a misprint - I really DO mean plaQues and not plaGues. The Holiday Club next month is all about Joseph, so one of the craft activities will be painting some plaques
We did this back in 2011 in Kirby - here are some of the ones from that club - with the Egyptian figure, and the frieze of hieroglyphics at the top.
They are made in a mould using plaster of paris. I have three dozen to prepare

AND ONLY ONE MOULD!
This means mixing up one cup of plaster, pouring it into the mould, and going away for an hour. Coming back, turning it out and doing another. It is a laborious process. Back at Kirby I produced over a hundred - but it was summer, so I think they dried quicker. It still took over a fortnight.
This time, I have got some 'mould release' which is really making a difference- Bob found the recipe online - you mix a small amount of vaseline with white spirit to the consistency of single cream. Apply a thin layer to the mould [with an old toothbrush] It makes turning out a doddle. No cracked pieces this time round. I have lined the bedroom window sill with tin foil so they can stay on there and dry out. Then I will put on a base coat so the children can colour them with felt pens this year, poster paint is too messy in our limited space at Chapel. 
Rosie was very excited to see all the Egyptian stuff when they called yesterday. I am not a very tidy worker, everything in the Futility Room has a thin dusting of white powder - Liz and Jon wondered if I was establishing a Meth Lab. Further to yesterday's post about Lost Things - my new filling came out during Sunday breakfast!

16 comments:

  1. Oh no!! Why does the filling keep coming out?
    This craft idea is very exciting and is so clever but SO MUCH prep time for you!!! You are amazing Madame Almond! Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The tooth has a crack in it, when it flexes, the filling falls. I have another appointment tomorrow [Good job I am retired, and not having to take time off work]

      Delete
  2. Oh no-that’s not good news about your filling! The plaques are very detailed and great idea about using the pens instead of paint. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it will be easier, and less messy.

      Delete
  3. I discovered my dentist had a twelve month guarantee on his work when I lost a filling, the only one I lost in over twenty years as his patient. He is now retired and I am getting used to a new dentist at a new practice. Like a lot of people, I don’t like change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must ask my chap if he has guarantees! Appointment booked for tomorrow

      Delete
  4. The plaques look great, what a labour of love.
    Sorry about your filling, it's the inconvenience isn't it?
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very inconvenient. But at least I have a dentist, unlike many people in Norfolk

      Delete
  5. That should be your 3 then, earring, scarf and filling. A real labour of love making all those plaques, it will be lovely to see the finished painted ones. Gill Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been diligently making them all day, just turned out plaque #30!

      Delete
  6. Always amazed at the things you make. The children will enjoy painting those plaques.
    Sorry to hear about your filling. Tell the dentist to try some superglue for a change! 😃

    ReplyDelete
  7. So you teach the children to 'walk like an Egyptian' as I'm reminded of the song by The Bangles!

    How annoying your new filling came out!

    Well done in reaching #30 of the placque production process.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Definitely a labor of love to keep making all the things you do for the holiday club! I hope all the plaques dry well and the children have fun painting or coloring them.
    So sorry to hear that the filling came out, again! I had a filling like that and eventually had to have a crown put in.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!