Friday 5 January 2024

Still Not Buying It

Twenty years ago, American writer Judith Levine was struggling home on a wet December day, weighed down with shopping, and surrounded by other people equally burdened. "Why am I buying all this 'stuff'?" she asked herself. And decided that she would commit to avoiding 'shopping' for a whole year [and persuaded Paul, her partner, to join her]
Yes, they did did have a carefully worked out system - obviously food, fuel, insurance, and other essentials were allowed - but nothing which they deemed 'non-essential' [fancy cosmetics, nw clothes, luxury foodstuffs, theatre trip, meals out - also gifts for other people] And Judith wrote the book about it all [yes, she secured a book deal very early on]
I bought my copy in 2009 for 50p, a few months after we had purchased Cornerstones. I reviewed it here
I think most of the comments I made then I would agree with - but at the time I was very focussed myself on only buying essentials because our mortgage was swallowing up such a large proportion of our income, and I was realising how non-essential so many items are. 
I have just read my copy again - and as I said to Bob, I noticed so many other things in the book this time round. Levine was writing in the aftermath of 9/11 and spoke of fellow Americans being really anxious about terrorism and Homeland Security. People covering windows with protective film in case of explosions. buying flashlights and crank-radios in case of power blackouts, stockpiling food ready for the next disaster. And the way that producers latched in to the fear-factor, and made $millions selling their products.
Having recently watched "Leave the World Behind" - the latest film from "Higher Ground Productions" [b&M Obama's film company] I'm inclined to feel that many people in the USA are still anxious about being prepared for the next disaster more than 20 years after the Twin Towers,  - and that others are milking that fear for their own profit.
Judith writes about the people she encounters who are happier with a simple lifestyle, making their own bread, soap, clothes etc. Paul starts brewing his own, very acceptable beer. Growing food instead of flowers becomes her priority in the backyard [Since retirement I really understand that one now!]  "Simple Living" reaps many positive rewards. She refers often to Thoreau and his simple cabin by Walden Pond.
Yes- in the end, I think agree with Judith, that excessive consumerism is bad for the individual, the community and the planet. And that there needs to be faith and hope for a better way of living.
We should learn to appreciate what we have, spend wisely, and look out for our neighbour's well-being too. 
Judith's rule about non-essential spending included no gifts [So as a graduation present, she gave her niece a necklace which had originally belonged to her mother, rather than spending money on something] I found that rather sad. I continue to throw a few extra tins in my shopping trolley, which then go straight into the Foodbank Bin as I leave the supermarket. Maybe non-essential spending for me, but a small sign of my concern for all the hungry families out there.
Have you read any good books about simple living which you would recommend?


23 comments:

  1. I'd be intrigued to read this. Have been thinking about this type of thing in the last couple of days. I really don't need anything though I'd say that supporting the arts idls important to me so I wouldn't ban the theatre. Similarly, holidays are a lifeline in the midst of a hard school term. But other purchases- not necessary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prioritising what matters to You personally is always a good starting point.

      Delete
  2. Haven't read the Judith Levine book but I was fascinated by Michelle McGagh. "The No Spend Year: How I spent less and lived more." Michelle is a writer living in London who reacted to the stupidity of Black Friday and in 2015/6 took a year off from spending. I may try to find
    "Not buying it" as well

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't know the MM book so will check it out. Thanks

      Delete
  3. Interesting read as always, thanks Angela. Referring to non gift giving - I think quite a lot about this, a few weeks after my birthday or Xmas I struggle to remember most of my presents and other folk have told me they are the same. It feels important that children have gifts, even if it's money for their savings, but adults, hmmmmm, not sure what I feel.......
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the gifts most appreciated are the ones which have been well considered, not necessarily those which cost most. In our family we've exchanged interesting foodstuffs, and small "treats" which we know the others will enjoy. But I wouldn't go out and spend a lot of money just because it's expected.

      Delete
    2. In my review, I didn't say that JL seemed surprised to encounter other people who gave regularly to charity, and admitted she didn't factor that into her budgetting. I thought that was even more sad than not giving birthday gifts to wealthy friends.

      Delete
    3. 👍 X
      Alison x

      Delete
  4. I bought no new clothes for two years from the onset of Covid in March 2020. I wore mainly leggings etc as all my meetings were on Zoom. My daughter gave me lots of clothes which wore happily and the only things that wore out were a pair of trainers and a pair of boots from daily walking. I also saved enough on hairdresser visits to buy a new laptop-I no longer have my hair highlighted and have embraced the silver. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, I found the pandemic meant I wasn't really buying clothes - I wasn't going anywhere! I did wear out my slippers though. My girls are brilliant at passing on clothes. Unlike Ms Levins, I know you - like me - already practice "make do and mend" and we're definitely embracing the grey!

      Delete
  5. I read Not Buying It a long time ago, I'm not sure if it's still on my shelves as I remember lending it to someone, I should have a look and if it is there maybe have a reread.

    I think my favourite books on simple living are by fellow blogger Rhonda Hetzel. She's in Australia and wrote Down to Earth (the name of her blog) and then a couple of years later The Simple Home. Both books are full of good old-fashioned advice on keeping a simple home and saving money. Her blog is on my sidebar.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too follow Rhonda's blog, and have borrowed her book from the library. As you say, good old-fashioned advice

      Delete
  6. This was such a great post! Yesterday my English friend, Sue and I were discussing growing up in the U.K. in the 50's , that earlier mindset of "managing" is still strong in both of us although we have lived in the U.S. for decades. JanF

    ReplyDelete
  7. 'Your Money or Your Life' by Joe Dominguez and Vicki Robin shows how to gain control of your money and how to make a life, rather than just make a living. More money does not necessarily mean more happiness. I read it years ago, but the principles still apply.
    ~ skye

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Skye - and yes more money does not guarantee more happiness. What does it profit someone to gain the world, but lose their soul? as the good book says.

      Delete
  8. It is interesting that even back in the days when Thoreau lived in the woods for a time, he still felt the need to live simply, and life was nothing like as complicated as it is in the 21st century! I once started making a list of things that I felt I really needed around me, if I wanted to live in a simple way. When we lived in a small apartment overseas for 3 years, I missed things like my sewing machine, but I loved the simplicity. There was a lot that I didn't miss and on our return there was some serious decluttering. There is very little that I feel the need to buy for the sake of it, and a shopping trip has to have a purpose, unlike the old days when I would go to see if I could find something to buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "retail therapy" is not an activity that appeals to me either

      Delete
  9. I am fine with the idea of people spending their money on whatever they want, as long as they can afford to do so. I am also fine with people deciding they don't want to buy anything or buy anything new. But, when they decide they don't want to buy anything and then write a book about it and expect others to buy it? Then, I have issues with that! Even to buy second hand or borrow from the library means someone had to buy it, in the first place! I might feel differently if the author designated all proceeds from the book to go to a charity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There do indeed seem to be a lot of people out there making money by selling books about 'not buying anything'. And yes, sending profits to a charity seems a great idea. I have concluded that there are those for whom "giving back/giving to charity" is a normal and regular part of their financial planning - and others for whom it isn't. I remember getting really annoyed some years ago when I read a similar book, where the writer not only cut all giving from her budget, but also went and ate the free lunches which local churches were providing, because it saved her even more money. But I guess we are all different...

      Delete
    2. That doesn't sound right to me, to eat the free lunch at the church as a way to save money!

      Delete
  10. I suggested a different approach to Christmas presents this year. The Secret Santa thing had been hard to organise so this time we went for a maximum spend of £7 on each person from charity shops or charities online.
    It was a huge success. It's amazing what joy you can get from supporting charity shops and knowing you haven't spent silly money on stuff people will never use.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!