Sunday 14 January 2024

Lost And Found

Yesterday we went down to Essex. Julian's birthday was Christmas week, and we hadn't seen him since August. So we took him out for a belated festive/ celebration lunch. It was good to be together. I wore my Weather Scarf, its yellow stripes match my new coat. And my silver earrings, which were Gillian's, but Julian gave them to me when she died.
As we arrived at J's house, I realised one was missing. I tried not to be upset. It didn't seem to be in the car, or hooked on my clothing. I took the other out and put it away safely. I whispered to Bob that I'd lost it, but not to say anything. I felt very sad. 
The later I went out to fetch something from the car - and my earring was there, hooked on the side of the door pocket. I was so thrilled! 
We went out for our meal [J had chosen the Harvester in Idea Park] Then back to his place. When we came to leave I realised I did not have my scarf [the one that took a year to knit!] Bob diverted our route home and we called in at the restaurant. Yes, they had it, safe in the lost property box. I was very grateful. 
Neither the earrings, nor the scarf are particularly valuable in monetary terms, and I told myself not to get over upset. But one represented someone very dear to me, who I miss so much - the other was a reminder of our final year in Ferndown... our friends, our church and the covid-craziness which meant I was at Cornerstones all summer, teaching Rosie. Two items with a lot of memories, which made them very precious. I thought I'd lost them, but they were soon found again, and I was incredibly, over-the-moon pleased. 
As we drove home along the M11, I found myself thinking about those three stories in Luke chapter 15 - the lost coin, the lost sheep and the lost son. And thinking about God's amazing grace. 





23 comments:

  1. I'm glad you found the lost items, especially as they were items that had a lot of meaning to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's funny how life can imitate the parables when we least expect it.... (is there an emoji for 'tongue in cheek remark'?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I typed it in the search bar and got this 😜

      Delete
  3. The smallest thing can mean so much. So glad you found both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good news and glad you had a lovely day with Julian. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad they turned up!!
    When I've lost something like an earring, glove, hat, scarf, aside from the sentimentality of some items, the reason I get upset is that I know that the item is useless to other people - chances are, no one can make use of a single glove, earring or generally a used scarf and it is rendered useless and the remaining item is useless. I HAVE worn odd gloves together that said.
    So glad you got to see Julian and Happy birthday to him!
    Kezzie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I had a pair of odd gloves for ages. But as you say, single earrings are useless to anyone else.

      Delete
  7. I think the feeling of relief is the best !
    I am very sad that my glasses seem to have disappeared and they have to be in the house because I must have driven home with them. I have been hoping to come across them for 9 days now... I even looked under the car before driving it again. I am using my old glasses with a very close prescription but I will be so happy to find the current ones.
    I love that you chose to wear Jill's earrings and I had almost forgotten the weather scarf! I am delighted the lost items showed up. Love JanF

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good news on finding your lost items so quickly. I totally get the sentimental is worth more than anything except our families and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Losing glasses is a real pain. Have you looked in the pockets of the coat you wore last time you were driving? I hope they turn up soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the pockets were the first place I looked. Still hoping they will show up but cannot imagine where... JanF

      Delete
  10. Two timely miracles just for you, Ang! How wonderful!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you found the earring and scarf. Sentimental items are treasures. I have a few items from my sister and parents. These mean so much to me. You scarf is lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The memories evoked by these items are so precious, aren't they?

      Delete
  12. So glad you managed to find the earring and scarf both safe!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!