Tuesday 9 January 2024

Cosy Creativity

The Christmas crafting is all done and dusted, and now I am thinking about projects for the new year. I was returning library books for Bob recently, and grabbed a couple of crafting ones, hoping for inspiration.
I had high hopes for this one, Willow Crossley is an established florist/stylist, who has worked with a number of large companies on photographs for their brochures/advertising But I was a little disappointed  
Of the 40 projects, 6 were just variations on the them of 'fabric bag'. 

The projects were divided into 4 categories "decorate, hang, use, nest" There were all the usual things - teacup candles, flower wreaths, chalkboards, covered coathangers etc. But I really don't think "buy a plain panama hat, and fit a new ribbon hatband" merits the title of "a project"
But there was one idea I had not come across before. Decorative Sticks. Let me show you...
...Cornerstones does not have a mantelpiece anywhere. And I don't want sticks on my windowsills. Bob was somewhat scathing about the idea of using my embroidery threads to wrap up twigs!
So sorry Ms Crossley, I  think my ideas and yours don't quite match up! But the book has got some pretty pictures in it, and do I agree that natural fabrics, and real flowers are preferable to plastic trim.
I'll rate this ***
Book Two - "What shall we do today?" by Catherine Woran was a lot more useful. I have looked at CWs other craftbooks before, and they meet my "well explained, clearly illustrated, decent templates" requirements. This has sixty project to do with children aged 3-12

Yes, there were lots of different ideas, and I liked that she had grouped them in seasonal sections - spring included ideas for Valentine's Mothering Sunday, Easter etc, Summer featured sunny, outdoorsy stiff, Autumn had pumpkins and Halloween ideas, and of course Winter was focussed on colder weather and Christmas treats.
I liked her emphasis on natural materials, paper, yarn and fabrics rather than lots of plastic - and many different types of craft to develop skills in little hands. Modelling, painting, cutting, tying, folding, stitching, printing.... And if you scoop out the pumpkin seeds to make a lantern or bird feeder - dry the seeds for a necklace. This would be a good resource book for a young mum [or auntie, granny,  uncle or grandad] who wants to engage children in purposeful crafts. 
And the basic ideas are ripe for development - simplify for younger children, add extra decorations for older ones. Things like bird feeders offer the option of discussions about nature, greetings cards for Mums/Dads can be varied for other friends or family members. I know how to make pointy hats for witches or magicians - but this book has the best instructions for somebody who doesn't know where to start. *****
My top tips for children's crafts - try it yourself first, and be realistic about how long it will take. They get bored very easily - and it is frustrating when things are abandoned half-finished. Consider projects as having three stages - preparing materials / assembling / decorating and finishing. It may make sense to do the prep yourself beforehand. Or if they are going to prepare/collect/sort/cut out themselves, maybe it is a 2-day craft. e.g. We will make it today and paint it tomorrow. 
Last Saturday it was enormous fun watching Rosie , 7½ and Jess 2½, decorating biscuits. One carefully spooning icing on to the cookie, then choosing and positioning the sprinkles. The other happily splashing and flinging  [the Architect and the Raccoon all over again]
When the awful weather outside means we need to stay inside, some cosy creativity can be a good activity for people of any age.  Or just curl up, under a blanket, with a mug of tea and a craft book to read through...




22 comments:

  1. Wish I were warm under a blanket with a cup of tea and book instead of on a train to work! Sounds lovely! The stick is bizarre. I don't think they look very good either! I'd understand cutting or finding straight sticks to take off the bark and sand to make claves/rhythm sticks (with maybe comfy thread handles for comfortable hands, though would it affect the resonance?)but as a decorative piece- not so sure! Kezzie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Handmade musical instruments are in interesting craft idea. I've made maracas and rainsticks with children in the past. But nothing that would require tuning, like an ocarina or penny-whistle/flute

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes find the ideas that are put forward for crafting verge on the ludicrous and are wasteful of resources. I’m currently saving containers of various kinds to make decoupaged spring vases with my group. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are they kidding with those sticks??!! What complete nonsense. Some people just have far too much time on their hands coming up with that piffle!!The other book is great for beginners.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally agree with your tip, always try it first before the kids. I must do a post on a cross stitch kit I got the older grand kids for Christmas that was a huge success, you may find it interesting if you can find something similar in the UK

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think Willow must be short of something to do if she really 'cant stop making' decorated sticks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps it's a, way of avoiding the housework!

      Delete
    2. Now there's an idea...😁😂 Kx

      Delete
  7. Ooh dear those sticks, a little fanciful aren't they?
    I love to curl up with a few craft books from the library, and of course, they're free so it doesn't matter if they end up not very useful 😀
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely. But just occasionally I find one which I'd like to keep (and can usually get it 2nd hand if I look hard enough)

      Delete
  8. The sticks made me laugh- too silly but also reminded me of the native Americans Talking Stick. John had picked one out for me and threatened to finish it- they have feathers attached at one end. Stick about an inch thick and a a couple of feet long. In a group, whoever is holding the stick "has the floor" and can talk as long as they have it! JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have worked in schools where children sit in a circle and pass a talking stick [or wooden spoon] around like that.

      Delete
  9. No wrapped sticks for me, but if the lady lived here, she could raid the woodbox and play with the logs. Who knows what creations she might come up with?
    The book of crafts for children sounds like a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just imagine what wonderful memories you're helping your grands create!!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I like the idea of the decorated sticks and I have a mantelpiece! Are they painted? Or wrapped with paper or thread? Yarn? When M trims my trees, I shall collect a whole bunch of little sticks and decorate them. They'll make very frugal gifts next Christmas although, I'm not sure what the recipients will think! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. The sticks are about 7"long, and wrapped with embroidery thread, or fine wool. If you make some, do post a picture on the blog.

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!