Monday 7 October 2024

Jabberwocky

Saturday was an interesting day. In the morning I had my covid jab, in the afternoon we both had flu jabs. I cannot believe how utterly different the two appointments were. 
Bob dropped me off at 9.55 outside the clinic in Dereham - he went off to do something else and we agreed to meet up in the library afterwards, just a little further down the High Street.
 I went inside, gave my name to the receptionist and stood waiting with all the other 'jabbees' - the 'jabber' was on the other side of the room behind movable screens. The jabbees were all very friendly and chatty. Which was probably a good thing, partly because the jabber had quite a loud voice, so her discussions were not exactly confidential - and partly because everything was running horribly late. 
My appointment was at 10, there were two others in the queue also booked for10. And another pair booked for 9.45! I WhatsApped Bob to warn Bob I'd be late. The room had insufficient chairs, and a bizarre slope in the floor. It made me feel quite queasy queuing along the wall. [nifty alliteration there!] and my heavy bag [containing library books, CS bag and my raincoat for the dry cleaners] had to go 2 feet in front of me, as it wouldn't balance on the slope. 

People kept arriving, and a chap with a stick asked if there were any more chairs. The receptionist found 2 more. Everybody seemed my age or older. "No! Esther Williams,"came a loud voice from behind the screen "like the swimmer!" The jabber had asked the jabbee to repeat her name. But the jabber was a young woman who had clearly never heard of this filmstar of the 1940s.[Why would she?] The conversation behind the screen continued. "She's very chatty" said the woman standing next to me.[it was now 10.15, the time for her appointment] I promised not to engage in any conversation other than answering basic questions, in the hope I would be in and out quickly. 
Bob WhatsApped me"I'm in the library waiting for you"At 10.25 I was called. "Why do you qualify for the flu jab?" she asked. I said I thought it was my age, I am 69. Then she asked for my date of birth, and other questions about my health. I nearly said "If you had asked for my dob first, you'd have realised I am old" but I didn't. She was concerned I had only had one previous jab. I said I contracted covid
before lockdown, and since then have had every jab offered to me. She looked at my notes again and agreed I had. But that last time I had Pfizer and this time I was having Moderna. So she said that after my jab, I must stay in the waiting area for 5 minutes in case I have a reaction. She injected me [left arm] , thrust a leaflet* in my hand and called the next person in. I hung about for 3 minutes - it was gone 10.30 - then went off to drop off the drycleaning and CS bag en route to the Library. We came home, stopping to visit my brother en route, and enjoyed a cuppa. 

After lunch we walked together round to our village surgery arriving 5 minutes early. My appointment was 15.01pm. We checked in, and joined the queue of jabbees [loads of seats available if needed] My name was called almost immediately, I went to the front, got jabbed [right arm] and I walked home. Back by 15.04pm, Bob a few minutes later. So much more efficient. 
I was OK till 10pm when I went to bed. My left arm [covid] started aching like I'd been kicked by a horse. I felt nauseous, and alternately sweaty and shivery. Did not sleep at all. I've not reacted this badly before. I stayed in bed Sunday morning, Bob went to church via Zoom. Fortunately I felt much better by Sunday evening

Have you had flu or covid jabs - was it efficient , and are you ok? Keep well, everybody!
* I was confused, the leaflet was all about possible reactions to "SpikeVax" - the jabber never explained that was the name for the Moderna Vaccine which she'd given me. 

26 comments:

  1. I'm having a covid vaccine on Friday along with BB and my father. Then flu vaccine about a week later... not expecting to be very active at the weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had both at the same time at my local surgery, one left arm, one right. No reaction. Happy me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh that is good news. I was thinking about friends who live alone, and hoping they didn't have bad reactions.

      Delete
  3. I had both jabs on Thursday, the flu and the Pfizer vaccine - in and out of the surgery in less than 5 minutes
    with thankfully no reaction to either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take paracetamol the day before the jab(s) and the day after. That helps with aching arms! my 'flu jab took less than 10' with many queuing. I suspect Covid jabs will take longer but then more is known about the 'flu than Covid so I appreciate there can be more concern.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll remember that next time. A helpful tip, thank you

      Delete
  5. I'm sorry you had such a long wait and then, a reaction, afterwards. You were brave to get both vaccines on the same day! I haven't had my vaccines for Covid or flu for this year, yet. I will do so a bit later in the month, and I usually take one at a time with about a week or so between them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not sure I'll do a "same day" thing next time

      Delete
  6. I had such a bad reaction to Moderna last November after previous Ffzer jabs that I am dreading this year’s jab. I was unwell for a few days and very lethargic for weeks afterwards. Hope you recover quickly. We have also had the RSV jab a few weeks ago for 74-79 year olds in Scotland. It had little effect thank goodness. A
    Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not eligible for RSV, but I add the Shingles jab to my list next year!

      Delete
  7. I had both at the same time last year, one in each arm. I had no reaction at all. I mentioned this to a neighbour who told me if probably been given fake jabs! Personally I think that at 73 I've probably built up an immunity to a lot of things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many people I know who don't trust them. But they have not had experience of a bad bout of covid, nor lost friends and family members to it. If it ameliorates symptoms, and makes it less likely to be passed on, I will put up with a night's discomfort

      Delete
  8. We have both together, one in each arm and our queuing is outside in car park, come rain or shine and no chairs at all. The 5 min wait afterwards is also outside but you do get a chair, I sit in my car. There are always older men pushing in front insisting their appt is earlier, I just let them get on with it and take a book to read as we shuffle along. Hope you feel better today. Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  9. We’ve had wonderful experiences with all our jabs here in Cheltenham. This has been both the mass vaccination programme which ran 7 days and more than 12 hours a day at the beginning in the fire station (emptied of fire engines) and this year at our surgeries. I’ve had varying reactions, like you, quite poorly on two occasions but always so humbled to live in a country where access to vaccines is so good and I’m an enthusiastic pro vaccer.
    Sorry your reaction was bad this time and your experience lacked, well, professionalism shall we say?
    Very best wishes
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All others have been good. I'll chalk this one up to experience! Cheltenham sounds efficient

      Delete
  10. I always have a bad reaction, so this year am having them on two separate occasions. What a wait you had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Look after yourself - see the paracetamol comment above

      Delete
  11. I could have had the flu jab on Saturday as my surgery sent a text saying I was eligible but I was in London.
    I had horrid 'Can't-sleep' reactions to my Covid jabs but I've not had any more since the initial ones.
    Sorry to hear you had a sleepless night. Kx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you are feeling better now. I had both Covid and flu jab on Saturday at the same time in our local pharmacy excellent all round in and out in 5 minutes. No pain in either arm when jabbed but oh my as the day progressed both arms really hurt. Flu was in right arm and Covid in left . My right arm was awful and still bad today. I get vertigo and visual migraines and these started on Sunday after a very bad night. Felt nauseous and so giddy and then nose bleeds started. I took paracetamol every four hours and this morning arms still sore but other symptoms have gone thank goodness. I have never reacted so badly before. Regards Sue H

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry about your reactions, I had a migraine Sunday,fortunately no nosebleeds. Get well soon

      Delete
  13. Had the flu jab last year and my left arm blew up like a balloon. Was advised to have it looked at. Luckily a locum doc was available and antibiotics were prescribed for the massive allergic reaction that had happened. No flu jab yet this year but I do have the lurgy today since doing an overnighter for a certain 4yr old who was recovering from it last week! Somehow, I thought I might've been immune!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Grandchildren are so generous with their germs!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!