Thursday 10 October 2024

Death And Taxes

It is 235 years since Ben Franklin made this statement - most people only know the last seven words. It is not my place to comment on the US Constitution [but I can continue to pray for the upcoming elections] I have been seriously downsizing for 10 years since we left Leicester, and generally decluttering on and off for even longer.
Not quite ready for "Swedish Death Cleaning" yet! But taxes?
Having only worked part-time as a Supply Teacher for most of my career, averaging 2 days a week, there were hardly any years when I paid income tax. And I only get a small teaching pension. And due to a missing year of NI contributions, I don't quite get a full state pension. But it's just enough to tip me over the tax threshold. But it is all dealt with at source so that's fine, I don't do a self assessment.

But now I have my own  online shop.  I closed my Etsy shop - I was unhappy with their charges, and with the fact that many of their sellers now seem to be selling on stuff that they have clearly bought in, rather than made themselves.


The government has recently announced it is going to clamp down* on 'small traders' who might be omitting to pay their taxes. So I went online, The HMRC website is very helpful, with a simple questionnaire to fill in. As my turnover is well under the £1000 threshold, I neither need to register my business nor do a self assessment form. 
I thought it was worth mentioning this in a post because I know that quite a few of my blogfriends are crafters and make and sell their wares - and I would hate for any of you to get caught out with a fine.*They are apparently checking ads on social media etc. to see if there are people out there clearly doing a roaring trade but not acknowledging it.
My main issue at the moment is publicising 31:13 more effectively - because it isn't part of Etsy, it won't come up in searches. I need to get a review page set up on the site, and also explore other methods of publicity. 

If you have ever purchased from the site, and you blog or use Facebook, please can you give me a mention sometime? 

I will be very grateful [as will all the mice sitting patiently in the spare bedroom]

Thank you. 





4 comments:

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!