Wednesday 2 October 2024

Harvest Mouse!

On Monday last, Bob and I were guests of our friends from Cowper Chapel at their Harvest Lunch. After some delicious fish and chips, there was a choice of gateau and ice cream, then tea and coffee. A simple meal, requiring minimal effort on the part of the group, with plenty of opportunity to sit and chat. Many of those present live alone, and appreciated enjoying food with good company, which they had not needed to prepare. I was providing the after-dinner entertainment, so I showed them one of my mice, and recited a favourite poem by John Betjeman. One which combines themes of Church, Harvest and mice. It was very well received. 


9 comments:

  1. Thanks, Ang. I'd forgotten about that poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! What a delightful way of pointing at a truth... lovely turn of phrase.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess that's why he got to be the Poet Laureate

      Delete
    2. I guess that's why he got to be the Poet Laureate

      Delete
  3. Thank you for sharing the poem. I enjoyed it very much. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. My late father shared the church mouse’s feelings about people who came only to services like Christmas and Remembrance. Thanks for sharing the audio version of the poem-I hadn’t heard it read before.Catriona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blogger seems to be constantly swallowing my comments on your blog. I'll try again. Can't see the video but I agree that a simple lunch means everyone can relax and enjoy your company! Kx

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!