Thursday 17 October 2024

Tomato CatchUp

All this talk about the importance of 30 minutes reminded me of a time management system which was popular in the 80s. Back in those pre-internet days, I'd push Steph in the buggy round to the library and come back laden with craft books, novels, and books which promised to get my life, house and family organised. Then the children would play with their toys or look at books, while I sat and read. I made endless lists; things to do, budget charts, meal plans...

One popular time management technique was developed by an Italian, Francesco Cirillo. This guy's motto is 'work smarter not harder' Pomodoro is the Italian word for tomato. and Cirillo realised his tomato shaped wind-up kitchen timer was just what he needed to get things done.
The idea is to break everything down into smaller tasks which take 25 minutes. Wind up the timer. Do one of these 25 minute bursts of activity, then rest for 5 minutes, then repeat. After four such tasks, take a longer break. Like this...

For some tasks, this is a really helpful way of breaking up the activity. Although a cup of coffee every half hour is maybe a little too much caffeine for me!
I notice that a number of British Universities actually promote this technique to help students with revision. 
I have a slightly less structured way of doing a similar thing.
Whenever I put the kettle on, I try and find a task I can do in the time it takes the kettle to boil. I know I can
  • clean my teeth
  • empty the dishwasher contents onto a tray and carry it into the kitchen [Bob often puts things away, which helps - otherwise they sit there till the next kettle-boil]
  • empty all the wpbs and pull out the wheelie bin onto the pavement.
  • take the dirty laundry to the Futility Room and load and run the machine
  • empty the machine and hang the wet laundry on the airer
  • water the houseplants
If it's true that "A watched pot never boils" then there is no point standing in the kitchen staring at the kettle - I can catchup with my tasks and make positive use of my waiting time.
Do you use a Pomodoro Technique or similar to ensure that you get tasks completed?



17 comments:

  1. Every time I put the kettle on I stand at the back door and gaze out into the garden... could this be why things never get done?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a good activity - a few minutes pause to reconnect with nature and reflect on blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How to eat an elephant? -one bite at a time! This was something I learned on a management course last century but the idea is similar to Pomodoro. I always do something while my porridge is cooking for 2 minutes and like you it’s often kitchen/laundry related. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would rather eat a tomato πŸ… than an elephant 🐘!

      Delete
  4. I recently learnt the one touch rule - you only “touch” a task once- so no leaving things on the stairs to take up later, or laundry in piles to put away- just getting it done immediately really does reduce the build up of clutter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. If something is in the microwave or kettle, then yes, I usually so something to fill the time. It is a good idea. When I did my PGCE, in the half term holiday, i went to the vicarage to work with my friend Ruth, who was doing her A'levels, and we'd do 50mins study then 10mins break (often involved exercise!) It was a good strategy. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easier if there's someone else to encourage you to have a regular break

      Delete
    2. It's easier if there's someone else to encourage you to have a regular break

      Delete
  6. Angela, you certainly are very well organised and use your time well. Margaret (New Zealand)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Replies
    1. She just sounded an alarm here. But I ignored her as I want to finish to finish replying to comments!

      Delete
    2. She just sounded an alarm here. But I ignored her as I want to finish to finish replying to comments!

      Delete
  8. As I have got older I seem to have the attention span of a gnat! I can start to tidy up walk into another room to put something away, see a task that needs doing and start that instead of finishing the first task. These days I am not a completer/finisher - I’m blaming it on years of being in charge and telling others to get on with it😏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Perhaps we should both try Steph's "one touch" system (see comment above)

      Delete
    2. Perhaps we should both try Steph's "one touch" system (see comment above)

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!