Tuesday 15 October 2024

The Fruits Of Their Labours

On Sunday after church we drove over to the Museum for Apple Day. Many people were lining up for selfies with the Big Apple [not me]


Plenty of activities - crafts to try, apples to taste. All these ones which were actually developed in Norfolk, as well as dozens of others from around the country. I asked for advice about what to do with my new plant. I was told that if it was a seedling it probably would not survive, and who knows what variety it will be? [I was not encouraged by that!]
There were lots of exhibitors at the event - craftspeople, apple growers, compost makers, spinners and weavers, beekeepers, folk dancers. 

For me, the most interesting person I met was Robin Carter, who is an illustrator. He came to Gressenhall a while back to paint the Suffolk Punch Horses on the Farm attached to the Museum. It was suggested he should bring some artworks to Sunday's event. You can see examples of his work here. But what fascinated me was his stamps. Robin illustrates postage stamps. He was asked to produce one set and the whole thing just took off. If you go to the Stamps of the World website here and type in Robin Carter, you can see just how many he has done. 
A lot of places use commemorative stamps as a way to boost there economy - there are philatelists out there who will snap up the Falkland Islands Land Rover Set . Robin explained that he is given his theme, and usually works from photographs [he doesn't get flown out to Ascension Island, or wherever!] He produces a finished artwork about 6" square, then it goes back to their printers who add the "furniture" that is, the sovereign's head, the value, and other necessary wording. What a fabulous job - and one which clearly makes great use of his undoubted talents.
Here is the original alongside a sheet of stamps, which were produced to mark the 350th anniversary of the Royal Marines.
Robin was so interesting to talk to, I felt I had learned so much. 
I am grateful to all the volunteers who gave up their day to make it a good event. There were loads of people there, and the weather was good - families were going across to the farm,and down to the adventure playground. I wished we could have had some our of littl'uns with us. They'd have loved riding the mini tractors and diggers, and sampling the fruits.
Thank you Robin and co, for making Apple Day so good this year.













No comments:

Post a Comment

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!