Thursday 17 May 2012

Ascension Day

walking bootsJesus ascended to Heaven.

Most of the angels were involved in the celebration party, rejoicing that death had been conquered, and the Son had returned to his Father. But some angels were hovering at the edge of the throng.

runningshoes

A few were lacing up strong walking boots, others had smart new running shoes.

As Jesus walked over to them, they asked excitedly “When can we go down to earth Lord?” 

“What for? asked Jesus, gently.

“To build the Kingdom, to make disciples, to spread the Good News”

Jesus waited, patiently, as they bubbled over with enthusiasm

“We have been preparing for you to send us – some of us are going to run on ahead proclaiming, and others will walk more slowly behind, explaining the details …we even thought about the right footwear for that”

The Lord smiled at them – and then lovingly explained

“It’s OK – you see, I have left instructions with my disciples on earth about their mission”

“What? Peter who denied you, Thomas who doubted, James and John who make more noise than sense, the ex tax collectors, those weeping women…”

“Yes – them – and all my other friends”

“But Jesus – what if they let you down? What if they mess up? What if they don’t share the Good News throughout the earth? Won’t you need us then? Aren’t the angels part of your Plan B?”

And Jesus quietly said “There is no Plan B”

noplanb

Matthew 28:19. Go put on your shoes.

7 comments:

  1. Indeed.

    What a lovely story - thank you for sharing xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll never walk as far as Jesus, but I'll try.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely! I'm not cut out for great deeds, but what He calls me to do, I'll do!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Ang. Son 1 has invited a French friend to church. All Ben and I have to do is drive him there and try to act normal! (Protestant churches are often seen as cults in France.) I'll show Son 1 this post if it seems appropriate in the run up to Sunday - he will be encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes think it is much harder for today's teenagers to share their faith will their friends than it was when I was young. I will certainly be praying for you, Ben, Sons, and friend this weekend!

      Delete
  5. It's a great comfort to know that the Word will not return void but will always accomplish what God wants it to. Even when we mess up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, your blog really touches me, have been reading it for a while... Just wanted you to know about a website i started ReadYourBiblesChurch.com... It's a place for Bible study guides.. I also put a forum in that can be viewed from a mobile device.. I couldn't find where to contact you privately so I'm commenting, hope that is okay. :) God Bless!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!