Tuesday 29 May 2012

Move Over, Starbucks!

Liz has sent me details of Cà Phê Sữa Đá – which is Vietnamese Iced Coffee. Dead easy to make, and wonderful on a hot summer’s day!

She says “It’s not really a recipe, more a set of directions. I warn you - this is not health food!

Brew a small cafetiere of strong coffee, or make a double shot of espresso. Pour 2 tbsp sweetened condensed milk into the bottom of a glass, then pour the coffee over the top and stir well to combine. Fill another glass with ice, and pour the sweet coffee over the top. You can top up with a splash of real milk if you like, or use more/less condensed milk depending on how sweet you like it.”

iced coffeeCheck out this page too for more info. I used this milk – I had a can in the cupboard [I don’t remember ever buying it though]

We both thought the drink was quite sweet, but pleasant nonetheless. I served it in the Meniscus glasses which Liz gave us when she worked at Tate Britain. Cheers!

IM002629

DSCF3854

3 comments:

  1. When Starbucks arrived in the town where we used to live we called it "Fourbucks" because that was the cost of the cheapest drink you could buy.
    I'm sure yours was much less than that!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liz worked at Tate Britain? Is there no end to the wonderfulness of your family? Liz worked at Tate Britain! The Pre- Raphaelites. Tate Britain.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This probably explains why I kept seeing condensed milk at all the coffee stands in Thailand. Not being a coffee drinker I didn't stop to find out but I think they used it in hot coffee too!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!