Thursday 7 August 2014

The Mother Of Invention

Oh dear! It’s Thursday and that means Dress Up Day at Holiday Club. All week, Bob and I have been in our staff tee shirts – but when we are acting as Boffin and Brainwave, I put on a white lab coat and try to look like a scientist. The brief for dress-up this year is very wide “Inventors, Scientists, Inventions or Robots”. But I couldn’t face the thought of making a robot costume. There must be a famous woman scientist or inventor I could dress up as.

ada lovelace

Well there’s Ada Lovelace, of course, sister of Lord Byron and early computer pioneer. Every picture I have found shows she clearly did love lace!

Marie Curie …not sure how to make her look interesting.

I want someone who is well known – who maybe the children will have heard of. Aha! inspiration struck

florence nightingale

Florence Nightingale- a woman who ticks all the boxes for me

-many of the children will know about the Lady With The Lamp

- she was a good and kind Christian woman, who worked hard caring for others, founding the modern day nursing profession.

-she was a brilliant mathematician and she invented…

                        The Pie Chart!

clip_image005

It shouldn't be too hard to create a FN outfit from the stuff in the wardrobe.

I have got a long black skirt, black blouse, and black belt. I can create a  white apron from a petticoat. A lace tray cloth and doiley will produce the collar and headdress, and my white lace gloves will complete the outfit.  And I have a lamp too…IMG_2725

rotera lantern

I shall make myself a little sign before I go off to church to explain who I am.

Who would you choose to go as? – and why?

12 comments:

  1. Hildegard of Bingen - because making a costume would be fairly easy! Although Hildegard is known primarily as a mystic, she also wrote about botany and medicine. She was a fascinating women, a great all rounder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was also a fantastic composer!
      I could be a dalek again, I still have my outfit!!! X

      Delete
  2. By the way, did you know that Florence was known to the men in the Crimea as the Lady with the Hammer? She had a habit of breaking into supply rooms if she wanted something for her patients. It was a journalist, not a soldier who called her the Lady with the Lamp,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I LOVE the detail about the hammer!!

      Delete
  3. You could have gone as Hedy Lamarr - beautiful and gifted actress, and co-inventor of spread-spectrum communications, without which much modern broadcasting would be impossible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did consider HL- but decided I didn't have the legs for it!

      Delete
  4. Too late Bob, she's got her costume sorted! LOL!
    (Spread-spectrum communications???)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Forgot to say who I'd like to go as, Heath Robinson?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elizabeth Garret Andseron..first British female Dr in the UK, among a string of firsts.My Dad was born in the hospital named after her...but she's not famous for my Dad being born there!
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ANDERSON,Jane, ANDERSON.Note to self..wear reading glasses when typing.
      Jane x

      Delete
  7. I never knew she was a mathematician. Great costume!

    I rather like Marie Curie - she had a fascinating life story. A white lab coat wiht some test tubes in the pocket, and maybe some fluorescent paint to give that radiant glow, would do for a costume. :)

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!