Sunday 17 August 2014

When I Consider The Heavens…

…said the Psalmist – and he didn’t even have the benefit of these glorious wide East Anglian Skies to look up at. I have been looking heavenward a lot this week, and each time, my thoughts have turned to prayers.

Sunday night was a ‘perigee’ or super moon – so amazingly bright! [the picture below, from The Mirror, was taken in Norfolk]

Supermoon

But the moon has no light of its own- it merely reflects the sun.

Father, help me to reflect your glory - may my light shine in such a way that people do not see me, but see Jesus.

Then we had the Perseid Meteor shower. [This shot, from the BBC shows Cley Marshes on the North Norfolk Coast]

perseid

A meteor shower is made up of space dust shooting across the sky, burning out, and leaving its shining trail.

Father, make me always willing to go wherever you send me – and let me burn out rather than rust out!

After that, a rainbow over the village – almost a double rainbow

IMG_2817

God gave the rainbow to Noah after the Great Flood, as a sign of His promise, and his faithfulness.

Father, help me to remember your promises, and know that you are faithful and you will provide all that I need

Then we had Tornadoes [the planes, not the weather phenomena] overhead. They were flying from RAF Marham which is close by

tornado1

The planes were taking humanitarian aid to the refugees in Iraq.

Father, may I always be grateful for the many blessings you shower upon me – and ever mindful of those in need. Help me to share what I have with those who have not.

And just in case you think I am on holiday in a beautiful village where nothing is ever out of place, we have all been having trouble because of an infestation of these over the past few weeks

flies

One of the old Jewish names for Satan is Beelzebub- the Lord of the Flies! These irritating insects remind me that we need to be constantly on our guard against him.

Father, lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.

Yours is the kingdom, the power and the glory, forever - Amen

6 comments:

  1. Lovely for a Sunday morning. Dxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely post - and I never knew that Beelzebub meant Lord of the Flies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful post and prayers I must echo.
    P.s. didn't know that's what Beezelbub means.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I heard 'June Bride' from Seven Brides for Seven Brothers on the radio today and thought of you. The wedding is in June, isn't it?Have a great week, Angela. x

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!