Thursday 29 June 2023

Are You Sitting Comfortably?

Well, not really. You see we have a couple of folding chairs we use in the garden, and the seat on one of them is beginning to come apart...I was afraid if Bob a larger person sat on it, it would rip and they would be stuck in the frame.
I had some strong cotton in the Great Stash. It was a small amount leftover from some caravan cushions I'd made in Dorset. Recently I'd cut a narrow strip from each edge in order to make striped straps for Kezzie's cosplay dungarees.  
If I could dismantle the chair it would be easy to make a new seat. But that did not look possible. I worked out that if I made a loop of fabric, I could manage to put it round the folded chair, lay the chair on the table, and sew the joining seam.
It was a bit of a performance working with a folded chair laying across the dining table. But it worked. I did a row of hand stitching back and front to stop the loop moving. And I did both chairs, just in case the other one started to fail. And I kept the original black seat in place as an extra strengthener.
A very satisfactory refurbishment of our £10 bargain seats. All ticking used up now!




24 comments:

  1. You are even more ingenious than I thought! I thought you had ready-made stripe straps! That's such a brilliant idea to refurbish them! I did laugh at the Bob crossed out!πŸ˜‚ Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really didn't want to risk anyone being hurt if the seat ripped. And these folding chairs are so useful.

      Delete
  2. They look great! Love Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant, I cant imagine how you managed to get it all round the machine! Now....what about the back fabric?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keeping the Studiospares logo. Bob often uses these chairs when we are doing PA for outdoor events, and we use some SS equipment.

      Delete
  4. Another repair which has made the chairs safe but also brightened them up. Well do you! I cut 18” off the side of a duvet so that it could be used in the moho and it was a performance even with the quilting foot on. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do t possess a quilting foot 🦢🦢

      Delete
  5. There is no end to how very clever you are. The chairs are not only more functional, but I think quite attractive too. I'm willing to bet anyone would be game for sitting in your garden for a visit with you on those delightful chairs. Good for you, Clever Ang.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a clever way to do the repair. You were obviously having a 'genius at work' day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. So resourceful - I can sew a little but lack confidence, the chairs look great!
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you are more skilled than you give yourself credit for. Keep practising, and remember, even the most experienced needleworkers make basic errors sometimes. (But we don't always blog about them!!)

      Delete
  8. This was so well done! It must have been quite the juggling act! JanF

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! That was a very clever solution to the fraying chair seats! Well done using what you had in the stash!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is very creative repair work. Well done giving the chair more time to he useful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Totally love the chairs. I have done stuff like that. I just shut the door so no witnesses and saves their ears from the occasional word or three.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I admit to talking to myself whilst at the machine. Particularly to telling myself off when I make basic errors. I did a task last week involving joining a rectangle to a curved shape. It took FOUR attempts to get it right - I kept getting the fabric upside down or inside out! Much muttering of 'stupid woman! " and"you idiot" before it was unpicked and sewn correctly

      Delete
  12. You did an excellent job repairing those chairs and it certainly made sense to do both. We have a need for repairing garden chairs but it is a different situation. Our patio set has bands of plastic on the seats to support cushions which we keep in a deck box when not in use. The sun probably worked on the plastic as two chairs have a strip that completely failed and one has 2 strips about to go. I need to order the plastic and then cut pieces and soak them in hot water before fixing them in place. The internet can teach you anything with Youtube!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!