Thursday 15 June 2023

Something To cHEW On

Last week a number of bloggers [like Sue]were writing about Ultra Processed Foods - the harm they can do to our bodies, and reasons for avoiding them. Dr Chris Van Tulleken and others were on TV and the radio, explaining the issues. It appears that in the UK we are eating a ridiculously high percentage of these foods. 
But I have not really picked up much news about this being HEW - Healthy Eating Week.[June 12th-16th] This is an initiative by the British Nutrition Foundation. Full details on their website HERE
They have produced resources for all ages from early years through to adults, with five different topics for each day of the week. Today we are encouraged to be properly hydrated.
These are all good ideas to put in place. I hope that schools, preschools and workplaces have tried to encourage these principles, and get both adults and children engaged and talking about it. 
I haven't quite caught up with all the UPF programmes yet, but I have been reading an interesting book about superfoods, which I will review shortly.
I know that staying properly hydrated is one of my failings. However this hot weather has certainly made me reach for more fluids. 
There is a video about HEW at work too

According to the BNF, Healthy Eating Week 2023 is supported by Kellogg's, General Mills, Quorn Foods, Sodexo, Agriculture & Horticulture Development Board (AHDB), Coca-Cola GB, UK Flour Millers and Waitrose & Partners. AHDB is a statutory levy board, funded by farmers, growers, and others in the supply chain [and Defra] helping to create a better food and farming industry. Waitrose does try to maintain high ethical standards, particularly relating to quality food, and 'green' issues [but their prices are definitely beyond many families]

I am trying not to be too cynical here - but Quorn is most definitely ultra processed, many CocaCola and Kelloggs products are high in sugar. and General Mills are the US company behind Betty Crocker, Cheerios and Pillsbury. But if this week makes people review their diets, that is a good thing.

Have you heard anything about HEW 2023?
Which of the 5 principles are you really good at?
And which is your weakest point?

PS thank you for all the kind birthday wishes for Jess - a young lady who is very keen on good food! 

19 comments:

  1. I'd not heard about this Healthy Eating Week which considering the big companies funding it is odd!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And you, and Sue (smaller life) are usually very good at picking these things up. It does not seem well publicised does it?

      Delete
  2. I can't watch the video now as I'm on a train and the Wi-Fi isn't very good.
    I'm very good at vegetables but not sure on other fronts. We do eat other forms of protein like lentils but not always! Kx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're excellent with vegetables I know - esp homegrown. And much better at drinking water than I am, Kezzie

      Delete
    2. I left my water bottle outside the Gamelan room at City last night!!! I'm bereft! I'm probably not going to get it back!

      Delete
    3. Oh that is frustrating. I have a metal water bottle which has lasted me years. More durable than plastic ones

      Delete
  3. I haven't heard a thing about HEW 2023, but then I've not watched actual television for a while, just things that I've recorded.

    I am getting better at eating my vegetables, fruits are a different matter, I'm just not that keen so it's more of an effort. But I have completely fell out with the notion of '5 a day'. Once I found out it was originally launched as an advertising initiative by American fruit and veg growers and was once again seen as a way to get more money off people, the UK adopted it a year or so later as a 'health initiative. The actual amounts that we should try to eat is 30 different things in a week, a mix of fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds, but I guess if people do have something to aim towards it can only be a good thing overall. I am good at keeping hydrated though.

    My weakest point is dairy-free chocolate ... very ultra processed!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I eat too many carbs and nowhere near enough fruit....... I hadn't heard about the Healthy Eating Week! Occasionally we become temporary vegetarians because we tend to feel healthier and lose a few unwanted pounds that way.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I am having a vegetarian phase I rely too much on potatoes...🥔🥔🥔

      Delete
  5. I hadn’t heard anything about it but am very sceptical having seen its backers! We eat lots of different veg but I try to limit fruit as Norrie has diabetes. Like you, Ang, I do like potatoes in any form but try to limit how many times I have them. Tonight we are having chicken stirfry with peppers, sugar snaps, broccoli on a seeded wrap. We’ll have yoghurt and fresh pear for afters. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had chicken stir fry too [with mushrooms, mixed peppers and noodles] followed by strawberries and a small scoop of icecream. Lovely food for a summer's day

      Delete
  6. For some reason (possibly reference to UK Flour Miller's) this triggered memories of my mother's home-baked bread, made from stoneground wholewheat flour from Prewett's mill in Horsham, Sussex, more than half a century ago. Taste and texture like nothing I have had since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Prewetts Mill is apartments now, isn't it? But what a lovely memory

      Delete
    2. Not having been back to Horsham in a while I wasn't aware of that, but a quick Google check confirms. The other claim to fame for Prewett's Mill in my far distant youth was that it was on Worthing Road, and so was Horsham's girls grammar school, so a natural destination for a male teenager!

      Delete
  7. In Canada we are encouraged to eat healthily, but meanwhile the stores are crammed with all kinds of processed foods which are tempting until you read the labels, especially where salt content is concerned. I try to cook healthy foods and we eat a lot of salads. I often buy frozen fruits as they are frozen when fresh, economical in winter and work out cheaper than fresh which have travelled far. We regularly splurge on fresh green grapes to snack on, when the price isn't too excessive, and we eat apples all the time and oranges or clementines from time to time. We are hoping to find some wild raspberries and blueberries to pick, soon. As for bread, I found a flax and quinoa sliced loaf that is good. We eat a number of meatless meals each week. But I wish I liked cooking more than I do! There are so many healthy possibilities but sometimes I just don't have the energy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Frozen fruit and veg are so useful, and as you say, often cheaper

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think we have the equivalent of a healthy eating week, here (or, at least, I haven't heard of it). I am usually good at eating plenty of fruit, but, I don't eat nearly as enough vegetables and I eat too many sugary and/or salty stuff and don't hydrate enough! Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many of us have far too much sugar in our diets

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!