Sunday 11 June 2023

They Also Serve

... Who Only Stand And Wait 

wrote John Milton. I want to flag up the brilliant service of our ambulance crews and paramedics [did you know that as well as volunteer St John's Ambulance workers, there is also a professional paid section, whose teams are currently working alongside the NHS Ambulance Service?]  On Friday I learned an awful lot about these hardworking people. 
My very elderly neighbour X was unwell. Her relation called the surgery, and somebody came out and said she needed to go into hospital immediately . An ambulance was called. She was nervous about going alone and the relation could not go with her. I offered to accompany her. This was agreed by all concerned [patient, relation and paramedics] I said I'd stay till she was admitted, and then Bob would come and collect me from the hospital. As we left, an ambulance pulled up outside my other neighbour's house
We got to hospital just before 3.30pm. And went into a queue. We speculated about neighbour Y. The paramedics were great, so kind to my friend. They fetched tea, and sandwiches and biscuits for her. She needed the loo, so they wheeled her trolley out and round into the hospital. On the way back, one paramedic spotted the other ambulance.
She tapped on the door "are you the crew who were at....with Y? Your neighbour Angela is round the corner in our ambulance with X" 
They brought X back, and said I could go and visit Y who was unaccompanied. 
So I spent the afternoon shuttling between the two, and sending reports to their families. And we waited, and waited... 

At one point there were almost 40 ambulances waiting in the sunshine. Many kept their engines running [to keep the electrical equipment working, I was told] The air in the car park was thick with diesel fumes. 
The paramedics were kind, and resolutely cheerful - and it was well after 10pm before these two elderly ladies were wheeled out of their vehicles into the building. But even then it was just into a holding area, and they were lifted onto different trolleys. A new team of paramedics took over. Our teams finished their shifts, said goodbye to the patients, and went home [they were due to finish at 9pm] X and Y were put on adjacent trolleys. I finally said goodnight, and Bob picked me up at 11pm. 
There was a serious bed shortage at the hospital, and these friends were still in that space on Saturday morning. The staff were obviously frustrated, but did not let that affect their professionalism, nor their care for the patients. "but out of a 12hour shift, I've basically been providing a personalised waiting room for one person for 7 hours, when I'm supposed to be on the road, collecting and delivering many people" said one woman. 
The whole situation was quite surreal. It should not be like this. 
I am sad for these key workers who cannot do their job properly 
I am sad for an uncomplaining 90year old lying on a trolley for hours
I am sad that so many people were misled and lied to
I pray that hearts will change, that policies will change, and that things will get better... 








24 comments:

  1. I hope both your neighbours come home soon and recovered. However did we descend into such a chaos when the NHS staff are so obviously caring and doing their best. Is it bad management, lack of money, not enough staff or all 3. Keeping hydrated is so important when we are elderly, I hear of so many older people ending up in hospital through not drinking enough. Thank you for caring. Sandra.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right about the hydration issue. But so many of these elderly folk are afraid to drink too much because it takes an age to get to the loo using their walking frame and they are scared of accidents [either wetting themselves or falling over en route]

      Delete
    2. For anyone in this situation of not wanting to drink too much, these might be interesting https://www.jellydrops.com/
      I read about the young man (I think) who created them for one of his elderly relatives. Love FD xx

      Delete
    3. Thanks for that link , Alison. I vaguely remember a comment about these on the radio recently

      Delete
  2. I agree with you, it should not be like this. Thank goodness for key-workers and kind neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Key workers still need our support, even though the Covid lockdown has long finished

      Delete
  3. How cruel for the patients. What a waste of skills and resources for the paramedics. How ridiculously demanding for hard-pressed staff. How horrible for relatives and friends. How.... much we have been all been lied to, deliberately misled, treated disgracefully by... oh, I should stop...
    Ang, you were a true angel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both ladies now in comfortable beds, in a ward. I'm grateful for that.

      Delete
  4. How kind and professional the ambulance people were. How frustrating for them to have to sit and wait for there patients to be admitted.
    You are a very kind and thoughtful neighbour.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were so kind, even though the situation was frustrating

      Delete
  5. What a blessing you were to your neighbors! I've heard that there are long waits at hospitals, here, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least our healthcare system is free at the point of need - I cannot imagine how hard it is if you have to have the right insurance policy before treatment

      Delete
  6. Many complaints about exactly the same thing happening in Australia. Our public health systems have clearly not got into this state overnight! Bless you Angela it would have been very reassuring for those ladies to have you with them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And they refer to us as the "developed" parts of the world! 🌏🌍🌎

      Delete
  7. In Canada, they just leave them at emergency. How kind to see they stay and look after them but a waste of valuable resources. We need to improve our medical systems not gut and privatize them, denying access to those who can't pay. That was kind of you to stay with your neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I started a comment but I hit a key by mistake and it vanished mid sentence. You may be getting that! I haven't heard of waiting in an ambulance. How kind of you to stay with you neighbors!. If emergency is full here, they line patients up in hospital hallways, which isn't any better I suppose. I doubt our local ambulance service has enough ambulances to use any for waiting. Our private system is terrible in many ways, though. Your NHS is wonderful, and I'm sorry it's not being invested in properly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Celie - the half -message had not appeared. The protocol is that an ambulance crew MUST stay with the patient until they are properly admitted. There would not have been room to leave them in the Emergency area, that was already full of non -ambulance cases!! The crew I was with said that just about ALL their vehicles were in the carpark (so heaven help anybody out in the community who rang 999) Yes , those who work in our NHS are great, it is a shame that those trying to organise it are not always getting it right

      Delete
  9. It is just not right that patients are kept outside in those ambulances for so many hours. Whatever is causing this backlog needs to be changed so it works better. I worked for 5 yerars in the Emergency Department at a city hospital and we got backed up but not like you describle.
    Am glad you were there to help your neighbors and their families endure the waiting.

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We need more wards, more beds, and more staff - and I suppose more money to pay for it all

      Delete
  10. It seems that you were needed as an "Angela of mercy" for your two neighbours! How thankful they must have been to have someone they knew keeping an eye on them. Our hospitals also struggle to find beds for those admitted to emergency. Of course the wait time in emergency is enough to deter anyone from visiting independently, except for something life threatening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very distressing for people to have to wait so long

      Delete
    2. My apologies for using an expression which I now realize has more than one meaning. I should be more careful.

      Delete
  11. ambulance triage , other half loves it

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!