Saturday 3 June 2023

Girls' Day Out

The greatest outcome of my visit to the Castle Museum in January last year was this amazing, ongoing stitching collaboration with Kirsten. But another thing was that I was given a free ticket for The Museum of Norwich.  But as a Museums Season Ticket Holder, I did not need it for myself. It has remained in the back of my wallet for nearly 18 months. 

This place is a little gem- packed full of stuff about the history of our fine city. So on Thursday, when Bob was on Hospice Chaplaincy duty, I took Rosie into the city centre so we could look round the museum together. She's great company. We had sandwiches in M&S [children's meals are free at the minute] then walked down to the Museum. The building has a fascinating history
Rosie loved all the exhibits- carefully laid out in a way which is accessible for children, with signs saying "look in the drawers" - where you can find other intriguing objects. She loved the Spitfire Cottage Doll's House.
There were baskets of toys in many rooms, appropriate for bored toddlers - and opportunities to dress up. Be a city gent in one of the coffee houses, in a powdered wig and tricorn hat. Or try on a hat from the store of the eccentric but talented Norwich entrepreneur Rumsey Wells.
Let's dress up! cried my companion gleefully, and who was I to demur? She selected a top hat for herself and a pith helmet for me. And grabbed the curly wig to wear under her brown tricorn.
If you look very carefully, you can see there is still some swelling [but not much] on my lower lip, and really close inspection will reveal the temporary repairs to my incisors. But honestly, my mouth has healed up incredibly well in the 2½ weeks since it happened, thank the Lord.
I was able to enjoy my M&S prawn sandwich. Rosie explained that she has to be careful with food too, as she has a number of wobbly teeth at the moment.
It was a lovely afternoon together - we walked back to the Forum and read books in the children's library as we waited for all the family to arrive. 
Jess was very cheerful in the library, finding Hey Duggee books for grandad Bob to read to her. The place was packed with families enjoying the books and other activities. 
I nipped into the American Library . Last time I was in there, I mentioned to the staff member that I wished they stocked "Real Simple" in the magazines section. She took the details - and lo and behold, now they do have it there on the shelf. Brilliant!
What a great day out with a great little girl.



14 comments:

  1. What a lovely girls’ day out. Photos are really good -I haven’t quite mastered the selfie yet! Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neither have I - those three pictures represent dozens of failed attempts [sorry Rosie, Grandma has got to try again with this]

      Delete
  2. Those photos are amazing, you just have to do a spot of 'dress up' every now and then haven't you. How strangely lovely that both you and Rosie had to be careful whilst eating because of your teeth. Children do love it when they can thoroughly relate to an adult problem don't they.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really do. A 4 year old looked at the stitches on my lip, and I explained I fell and hurt my face. He whipped back his fringe to show me HIS war wounds!

      Delete
  3. How lovely, precious times x
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a treat to have such a lovely day with a grand daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  5. How sweet it is!
    You're looking good and I'm so glad!!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rosie sounds like wonderful company, and you will both have special memories of this day. So glad your mouth is healing well and that you could enjoy a sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 🙂 Almost back to normal with eating now

      Delete
  7. Sounds like a lovely day out with Rosie. That doll's house is amazing! You seem to be healing very nicely, Angela; I didn't notice anything until you mentioned it!

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!