Friday 23 June 2023

Cereal Number

Some of you will remember this ad from 1982 - it had such a catchy tune [I have a bizarre memory of singing it on a sunny afternoon with my dear friend Val in Gillingham, when Liz was a tiny baby] 

Back in those days I was eating a lot of bran flakes, pregnancy had played havoc with my digestive system, and I did not like 'All Bran' which I thought tasted like dry twigs. And I used the flakes to make a one-cup-loaf . These days I usually go for porridge in the winter, and a granola or crunchy granola type cereal in the summer. But I was in Sainsburys recently and spotted this - it was on a very good offer, almost 50% off. So I bought a box
This appeared to tick the boxes - high fibre, and  crunchiness. There was a lot of nutritional information, in eight different languages on the back of the box. Bottom line - 13% fibre, 21% sugar [All Bran original is 27% fibre, 18%sugar and Bran Flakes are 17% fibre, 14% sugar] So this is half the fibre of All Bran,and half as much sugar as Bran Flakes.
There was so much information and I found it hard to decipher the small print. However, Kelloggs are helpfully putting these new Navilens GO codes on their packets. These are the next thing to QR codes, and particularly useful for those with visual impairment - check out the RNIB website. It was proving to be a very educational breakfast. And the taste?
Well, it wasn't quite as golden as the picture on the packet. And the various shaped globes of aerated cereal had an interesting flavour. 

Bob declared that "It seems like Kelloggs put their cereal into a 3D printer to make a 'crunchy' product and this came out. It tastes quite 'worthy' - I do feel I am eating  the MDF of breakfast products"
I do not think I can give a better description - he summed it up beautifully. Worthy is the term we generally use for 'food that is probably healthy, and maybe doing us good, but we are not deriving any great pleasure from the experience of eating it' [see also dense wholemeal bread, well-boiled cabbage, unseasoned parsnip soup...]
Maybe others will like this product. But we didn't. I will eat it, because I am not going to waste food. But at regular price it comes in at 38p per serving [plus milk] so I won't be buying another box!
However I approve of the fancy new code and hope people find it helpful.
I do wish Kelloggs would bring back that cheery little advert though...



19 comments:

  1. Can't listen to the advert on the train so must do it later! I like bran flakes and even All Bran. Not sure I'd like these as I don't like nobbly textured cereals as they always get caught in my wisdom teeth! Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They took my wisdom teeth out....🦷🦷🦷

      Delete
  2. I don't think they showed that particular ad here, but, it's funny! I need to remember "worthy" as a description for certain foods!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband sings "It's tasty, tasty, very very tasty, it's very tasty" whenever he really likes any 'new' dish that I put in front of him!
    I think we may be showing our age!
    Husband does however, insist that the best thing Kelloggs have ever made is Crunchy Nut Cornflakes, he's a big fan! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like CNC but do find them a little too sweet

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so pleased you reviewed this cereal because it saves me wasting my money on it! I had looked at it the other day and wondered..... I certainly wouldn't risk my aging teeth on it. I used to love making and eating home made granola but that's too crunchy these days, sadly.
    Alison in Wales x

    ReplyDelete
  6. We used to say that 'it looks as though you've knitted it yourself' when seeing something like your cereal! I like Puffed Whet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Shreddies who had the slogan "knitted by Nanas" wasn't it?

      Delete
  7. I use the bran flakes in a banana bread. We can get the over ripe bananas at a reduced price and they smash up beautifully. JanF

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Banana bread was a popular bake in the UK during the Covid lockdown

      Delete
  8. Interesting. I have either Cheerios (fiber) or Special K for breakfast these days. And blueberries are in season here. Yum!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheerios are fun. I am not that keen on special K

      Delete
  9. I do love Bob's description of the cereal as "worthy." Reminds me of Pope's line in a poem--D@mn(ed) with faint praise. :)
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm chuckling at the 8 different languages on the back of the box. I guess this product dates back to pre-Brexit days. Here in Canada we always have to have English and French on every box, can, bottle or jar, which means that as you get older, it gets harder to read the tiny print in the language of your choice to identify ingredients and salt or fat content!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it's a new product. I'm not sure why the pack is multi-lingual

      Delete
  11. That jingle makes me think of the song you posted, Right Said Fred. I enjoyed that so much! Anne in Wy

    ReplyDelete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!