Monday 5 June 2023

Voyage Of Discovery

As a child I knew a little about Scott and Shackleton, who had explored Antarctica in the first quarter of C20.
I think there was much more regard for "heroes" than for "celebrities" 50 or 60 years ago. The guests interviewed on "This Is Your Life" were more often people who had contributed something to society than just been TV entertainers. We were encouraged to aspire to do good things, be good people - not strive to be "rich and famous".
 I watched John Mills in Scott of the Antarctic**
Personally I could not understand why anyone would want to go somewhere that cold, and far away, leaving young wives and children behind... But I understood that they wanted to learn more about the world and share that knowledge. Shackleton and Scott were inspiring leaders, and there seemed to be no shortages of applicants to travel with them.

So I was pleased that we'd have the opportunity to see their ship RRS Discovery when we got to Dundee. These people were the celebrities of their day, and any company which supplied food or equipment to the expeditions were quick to advertise it. Their clothing was so heavy and thick - no "performance" fabrics, lightweight fleece garments, or Goretex waterproofing. And it was far too cold to strip off and change. 

Can you imagine wearing the same clothes for 93 days? [even girls doing the 100 day dress challenge wear fresh underwear daily, I hope] 
As we looked round the exhibition, I was struck by the men's diligence in recording all they found. Edwin Wilson made meticulous notes and drew beautiful illustrations of the flora and fauna. They entertained one another with concert parties and a newspaper produced on a typewriter. 
As we went round, it was Wilsonwho fascinated me most. He was amazingly gifted - a trained doctor, a gifted artist, an enthusiastic naturalist. He was Assistant Surgeon on the 1901—1904 expedition with Scott and Shackleton on Discovery, then returned in 1910 with Scott on Terra Nova for the ill-fated Polar Expedition. Wilson's drawings were meticulous, and he was clearly a valued member of these expeditions. He was a good and gracious man, a reliable friend, always thinking of others. In his student days he had done volunteer work in a Mission in Battersea helping the needy. It was here that he met his wife Oriana - and left her just a few weeks after their wedding to go to the South Pole. How incredibly sad! 
The officers and ratings had very different quarters on board ship. Lower ranks were squashed into a small space, and took turns in sleeping in hammocks. Food was served on enamel plates - but the officers had separate cabins, and dined at a mahogany table, with white Irish-linen-and-lace cloth, and fine china. Actually the officers were in the coldest part of the ship - the men living cheek by jowl in the room next to the galley kitchen were much warmer. 
Although RRS Discovery is in dry dock, I did not really enjoy going below decks, I felt that the ship was creaking and moving in the water. Bob felt fine, he said it was my overactive imagination [in my defence, my damaged glasses did mean I found it hard to focus!] 
Were these men brave, or foolhardy? Or a little of both? Three weeks on from my visit, I am still pondering... 
** coincidentally this film is on TV this week! Wednesday, 3pm on the Talking Pictures channel. Grab a blanket and a mug of cocoa, as you will feel cold when you see all that ice [even though it was filmed in the Ealing Studios!] 


16 comments:

  1. It's amazing to think of these brave, intrepid people who gave their lives so we might know more about that region. Wilson sounds particularly special. I used to teach an Oriana.x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oriana is a charming name, her surname before marrying Wilson was Souper. She was a vicar's daughter, and a very lovely girl by all accounts. Do you think her nickname was "O Super!"

      Delete
  2. I dont think we even knew the word 'celebrities' did we?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These days, I cannot see that many of these so called "celebs" are worthy of celebration

      Delete
  3. So glad you visited Discovery in Dundee and the exhibition sounds very informative. My pet hate now is the word “hero” as it’s so overused that it has become meaningless. Need to crack on and prep my craft class for tomorrow as the heat has made me very lethargic. Catriona

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heat?? I'm not saying it's been chilly here, but I admit to wearing bedsox the other night !

      Delete
  4. I suppose you have to be a little foolhardy to be a brave trail blazer. I'm just a little disappointed that those adventurous spirits took the class system on board with them! Irish linen on mahogany tables? I know an Oriana. She's of Italian descent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They even had separate tents on the ice for the officers .

      Delete
  5. How interesting! I suppose they were the celebrities of their time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You find such interesting topics and I so enjoy your blog!
    I always thought the word that applied to exploreres was "interpid".

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The word intrepid comes from the Latin and means "without alarm" - the Oxford dictionary defines it as "resolute fearlessness" These men definitely displayed that.

      Delete
  7. I wonder if those explorers had already lived through winters in Canada or the cold northern US states, they would have been as keen on the idea of polar expeditions? Maybe some of them went because of what we call today FOMO - fear of missing out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think some had been to Scandinavia and studied explorers like Nansen. And I think there was a strong sense of patriotism " for King and Country" too

      Delete
  8. I believe Captain Scott wasn't a terribly good leader - from what I've read. He didn't listen to what others were saying or advising, and it was partly his pig headedness that cost lives. Instead of dogs, he took ponies (to the South pole?!) and while waiting to start the expedition he and his men lolled around instead of training and learning to ski. They put too much trust in their mechanical sledges (which hadn't been tested in cold conditions, & broke down really quickly!) and so didn't have the supplies needed to reach the pole & to return safely. Or so my book told me!! Love FDxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The more I am reading about it all, the more I struggle with the harsh facts as opposed to the hagiography surrounding Scott. It appears that the horses were in poor condition to start with and not fit for the task. And some of the team were just posh rich chaps who were included simply because they poured their money into the project. I shall watch the John Mills film again - but with more informed eyes this time!

      Delete

Always glad to hear from you - thanks for stopping by!
I am blocking anonymous comments now, due to excessive spam!